Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the Bradshaws to look for a big muley for my rifle hunt. Rode my old '95 Honda fourtrax in about 8 miles until the trail was overgrown and a rough ride on rock. Coming back I had to do a 60 degree hill out of a creekbed that was real washed out. Back tires slipped and the scooter rolled two times down a 70 degree hill. I landed on my back first then saw the scooter coming straight down on top of me seat first. Started to roll out and it landed hard on my left side then rolled head over heels another spin. Crushed my left hip and cracked two ribs. Layed there for a few minutes in major pain then got up and could stand on the leg. The gun rack and back box saved my head and the rack is like a pretzel. Damn Honda was upright and still running. Sheared the paddle holster in half on my pistol. My camelback was full of water and acted as a cushion for my back. Rode out to the truck and sat in a chair for a couple of beers then went home. Ton of pain but I am walking fair kind of like Chester from Gunsmoke. I think it is mostly tissue damage and a couple of broke ribs so no doctor unless I start pissing blood. Did locate some dandy buck tracks in a mudhole so ready for my hunt. Passed a bunch of trucks near Bumble Bee waiting for 911 for a poor kid that wiped out on his dirt bike. He was in real bad shape. Be careful out there and take a cell phone. If I was broke up any more I would still be laying there.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
dam dude!! glad you made it back!

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Damn Glen i hate hearing that story since i had a buddy killed 6 months ago for the exact same thing but it rolled and crushed his head. Glad your ok and give me a call this week so we can talk about the alaska trip next year.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Wow. Be careful out there. Glad you made it back to share the tale.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No clicking bones so I think I will heal up just fine. Think I'll head up again next weekend and try again. Will definitely carry my cell phone. I ain't too old to dance with the devil. Broke dick mountain.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Damn Glen i hate hearing that story since i had a buddy killed 6 months ago for the exact same thing but it rolled and crushed his head. Glad your ok and give me a call this week so we can talk about the alaska trip next year.
Ya, were there are some real mountians to roll down.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
ringer dude, WEAR A HELMET!!! i have done 4 fatals this year when a quad has rolled and smashed their skulls. one was a 7 year old girl. it isnt worth it dude

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
We wont be doing the mountains kevin we will be Fishin!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thank God that the gene pool gets emptied out once in a while of folks that are to skilled or smart to protect the only organ that can keep them alive while falling off their quads. Maybe next time you'll wear a helmet.
I already know that you're not required to wear on. I also know that you were just riding nice and easy, so you really didn't need a helmet did you? Read what you wrote again and then re-think your position on wearing a helmet. I'm very happy that you're alright. I'm also very concerned that next time your luck will be more that of the "kid" that you spoke of.
Just my opinion.
Phil

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phil-I rode Harleys most of my life as well as quads with no helmet. I should have died three times ago and at 60 I understand very well that things go from good to disaster in a blink. I think the risk of dying is what makes life worth living. Just the way I have always lived and not saying you are wrong about taking precautions. I also was a dad at 18 so never have been too smart. Gene pool will get cleaned out soon enough.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Glen If I didn't know you I would say your were lucky.........However since I do know you I know it's cause you are just to damn mean to get hurt real bad. But dude. Be careful and at least wear some head protection................................get well the bucks are waiting.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Only the good die young you old fart.........You're safe. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Glad to hear you got through it Glen.

The helmet debate is one that will forever continue. I am ATGATT while on two wheels but never wear one on the quad. Its just my choice and good or bad I'll defend a persons right to choose for themselves forever.

Get some R&R, then get back out there doing what you like man!

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob-you were right about that road. You get closer to the Creek and it has a few rough spots. Cool ride and views.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't either. I finally looked around Greasewood flats and saw a bunch of gay old doctors and lawyers with new leather chaps with bare ass showing and figured I would never ride again. Sold my last bike three years ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts