Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions:

- I've read many times on this site about people fishing the cliff walls at Apache, Canyon, or Saguaro. I've tried this with no luck. Can someone elaborate about this technique and how to recognize good spots along the cliffs? Is a certain time of year better?

- Regarding the jig fishing, if you are fishing underwater structure, do you fish it like a texas-rigged worm or work it more aggressively?

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I fish walls with a jig, I go with an Arkie style or a football head with a double tail if I want a bit more dropping action.

When the fish are shallow < 15' a 3/8oz is my choice. If they are right on the bank a 1/4oz is better. When I go deep >15' I use a 1/2oz. But I let the fish tell me what they want.

A heavier bait will fall faster and that might trigger the bit, But then they might want a slow fall. What is an angler to do? Let the fish tell you. Which means, if you aren't getting bit, make adjustments. (I wish I would follow m own advice sometimes! :D )

Anyway, winter is a great time to fish a jig on the walls. Think slow movement and slow fall.
To know what to do on the walls, you got to get close and take notice to the tiny pockets, rock points and change in vertical depth. Throw tight and work all the way down to 30' for starters. Colors? I like the colors we make at Conquistador Tackle. I would use the Casting Jigs for the smallmouth. If I'm looking for a big fish and think that throwing a big bait helps, the our flipping jig is good choice.

Also, as the sun worms the water, fishing the sunny side shallow water is also something to try. The sun warms the rocks and thus warms the water.

One thing to note, that this time of year 7-12 fish a day on Apache, Canyon or Saguaro is doing good. That is one bit an hour. (Not to say there are better or worse days, there are.) So if you're not successful right away give it some time. Than again, changing is a good thing to do when it is slow.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
B Mc B

I use texas rigged worms all the time to fish cliff walls, turned Mr. Bass into a believer.
Main thing is dont let them come more than 6-12" off the wall, parellel the wall if you can.. if you have to cast into the walls make sure you hit the wall a bit high and have it freefall down, On a bait caster that means keeping it in free spool and hand feeding line if neccesary. it helps if your using a 7 foot rod that wall you can lower the rod as the worm falls .

If your texas rigging structure on the bottom try dead sticking a texas rigged worm it works great

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
a yamamoto skirt and twin tail grub on a 3/8 oz pro-line jig head is all you need. if you want a slower fall then it on a 1/4 oz jig head. when your fishen walls with jigs just look for cracks or any thing different on the wall flip it right up against the wall and stair step it down the ledges if theres any. i think with yamamoto jigs are perfect for walls because there bulkier so the sink rate is slower. i have taken spider jigs and texas rigged them with a 3/0 wide gap hook and a 1/8 oz pegged bullet weight and flipped walls and it works great. good luck

·
Registered
126 Posts
bite detection

Thanks for the advice :D. As a follow-up, do you find it hard to detect the bite? Often I think I have a hit on the fall only to realize that the jig probably just hit something on the way down. Any advice on detecting the bite? Do you look for your line to move sideways?

·
Registered
355 Posts
be a line watcher. your line will either tick or move from one side or the other. i always keep my index digit under the line. use a vertical hookset whenever possible and always check you line and hook tip! 6-8 bites a day is dull but they'll usually be the ones you need.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
I'm surprised Joe didn't try to sell you on his wired worms :p ......

They work generally in all situations, but pitching them down cliff walls is pretty effective...........

Sometimes bass will just grab the end of the bait......that's where the wired worm will improve your hook-up ratio........

I like the curl tail models for this presentation.........

They don't hang up as much in rocks as people think they do........

They will definetly catch you some fish at Sag on those walls.........

Franklin

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts