Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Costa Rica for the first and probably only time in my life this November. I want catch Peacock Bass and hopefully some billfish. I have the plane tickets and accomodations taken care of, now for the fun part. Does anyone have any recommendations for guides? I will probably have 5 days available to fish. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Do yourself a favor and hit the carribean side. jaco, quepo and those towns are cool party towns on the pacific, but you will get sick of that salsa crap. Carribean side is all island...dy, think steel drums vs. maraccas, way cooler over there if you can make the hall. Thats probably where the peacock fishing is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do yourself a favor and hit the carribean side. jaco, quepo and those towns are cool party towns on the pacific, but you will get sick of that salsa crap. Carribean side is all island...dy, think steel drums vs. maraccas, way cooler over there if you can make the hall. Thats probably where the peacock fishing is.
I suggest you stay on the Pacific side. The Caribbean side is the most dangerous part of the country and is typically not visited by tourist. When you think of Costa Rica your thinking of the pacific side, the Caribbean side is more like Jamaica except more dangerous. If you know a local you could "adventure" over to the Caribbean side other then that I wouldn't risk it.

Depending on where your going there is a number of guides in every town, some better then others. The town of Quepos (on the pacific side) is famous for the bill fishing and there are a lot of reputable guides there. The key to finding a good guide is to look at the boat and equipment BEFORE you pay, if its a well kept boat and top of the line equipment then they are probably good. There are a lot of Ticos (Native Costa Ricans) with a "skiff" that will offer to take you fishing for very cheap, I wouldn't do it. Paying a little more for a actually guide service is worth is, especially if your 40 miles out trolling for bill fish.

They typically offer two choices, "inshore" and "offshore" Sounds like you want to do "offshore" becuase that is where the bill fishing is. There is bill fishing on the Caribbean side but the world class bill fishing is on the Pacific side.

Peacock bass have been stocked in rivers and lakes all over the country, (They are not native there) so I sure you can find that no matter where you go.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Inshore is a blast! One of my boys spent 2 weeks there in July surfing and fly fishing. He caught great fish and good numbers everyday!

OTF:)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I suggest you stay on the Pacific side. The Caribbean side is the most dangerous part of the country and is typically not visited by tourist. When you think of Costa Rica your thinking of the pacific side, the Caribbean side is more like Jamaica except more dangerous. If you know a local you could "adventure" over to the Caribbean side other then that I wouldn't risk it.

Depending on where your going there is a number of guides in every town, some better then others. The town of Quepos (on the pacific side) is famous for the bill fishing and there are a lot of reputable guides there. The key to finding a good guide is to look at the boat and equipment BEFORE you pay, if its a well kept boat and top of the line equipment then they are probably good. There are a lot of Ticos (Native Costa Ricans) with a "skiff" that will offer to take you fishing for very cheap, I wouldn't do it. Paying a little more for a actually guide service is worth is, especially if your 40 miles out trolling for bill fish.

They typically offer two choices, "inshore" and "offshore" Sounds like you want to do "offshore" becuase that is where the bill fishing is. There is bill fishing on the Caribbean side but the world class bill fishing is on the Pacific side.

Peacock bass have been stocked in rivers and lakes all over the country, (They are not native there) so I sure you can find that no matter where you go.
That is why the caribbean side is waaaaayyyyyy better. He's not a chick. .... is he?:eek: I've backpacked through 23 countries around the world and in much shadier places then the carribean side of costa rica. I slept on the beach there for a week and never had any problems, some seedy looks but no probs. You can make yourself a victim anywhere use your head and you'll be fine. JMHO, but I am an off the beaten path kind of guy and don't really care about fine amenities,... I don't sleep in campgrounds I camp on the other side of the lake. When I'm on vacation with the wife and need amenities we stay in boutique hotels not the marriot. I forget some people like that crap... if your going with a wad of cash and want to be around a bunch of americans the pacific side is for you, but then why not just go to CABO and save yourself a bunch of money. But yes the billfishing is much better on that side.

Have a blast man, ... I'm jealous.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have been in several shitty countries while serving in the USMC and know when to watch my "p's and q's". I am not really looking to get my head chopped off while i am on vacation. Thats why Mexico is out of the question. I looked into crocodilebay.com and it appears pretty damn expensive but they seem legit.....maybe a little too legit to quit. Anyway the part that I dont like is the $3000 for 3 day trip pricetag. Thats why I was wondering if anyone had any better options than maxing out my credit cards for the next 10 years. This dude I worked with was saying he could spend his $40 a day per diem on steak and lobster for three, a bottle of rum, and two hookers and still have money left over. Is that complete bullshit?

·
Registered
218 Posts
It depends on where you are, but the prices have gone up. You'll spend $40 on the hooker alone....:)

I'd look into Lake Arenal for the Peacock bass fishing, it's supposed to be pretty good up there, and the volcano/hot springs are an experience. You can find good billfishing all over down there, Playas del Coco is further north and would be a logical hop from the volcano area. There are sportfishing outfits from everywhere, I like the Tamarindo area too, but it's a bit of a rough town, lots of cocaine moves through it. It's kind of what I would imagine a pirate town would have been like 400 years ago, or a modern day equivalent.

As previously stated, the Jaco and Quepos areas are the billfishing "capital"s of CR.

It is one of my favorite places in the world. I almost moved down there when I was 22.

Get used to saying, "pura vida."

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This dude I worked with was saying he could spend his $40 a day per diem on steak and lobster for three, a bottle of rum, and two hookers and still have money left over. Is that complete bullshit?
He would be staying where catch'n is suggesting. I think Dan stayed down the for like 20-30 days and didnt spend shit. Wish i could have made that trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts