Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys always come through with some great tip and advise. After reading the post on JIG fishing,thought you guys could shed some light on fishing crankbaits.( sizes,color,better brands)? If theres better colores to use for deeper running cranks ? Better or differant line to use; any feedback is always appriciated :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Crankers

Well Mr. Bass, I have two types I can always count on. The lipless
Which I like the LV500Aurora Black or the spin trap Chrome. I modify these with different hooks on the spin traps and add red dots to all rattle trap type baits. If its a lipped crank thats needed I like the Big-o in the craw,bluegill,or the white color.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I use to fish nothing but cranks so I do have some favs. I like the G-Fleck series probably the most. The Finish of the bait holds up well, and the hollow/deep rattle is great. I am getting fond of the cb200 series from Lucky Craft also. Rapala has done a good job with the new size of the "jointed craw". Granted havent caught as many fish yet with the big one but only in time. :D As for line well I'm sure that we all are going to differ here but as long as it's not PLine that's ok with me. I just dont have luck with it. I know a lot of you use/swear to fish gods about it but I just dont like it. I went out and bought some Trilene Big Game :? and am going to try that out. I need to find something out there! And last I would say that the presentation is the key factor. I like to get the bait down to the running depth and then slow roll it back to the boat. That seems to work for me.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The deepest diver I've used that's consistenly caught bigger fish would be the Excalibur Fat Free Shad. It gets down over 20 feet on a long cast and runs true straight out of the package. It's the best bait I've "bumped the stump" with. Second for bigger fish would be the Norman DD14, a medium diver. I've caught several 5's and 6's on those. No 7's... yet. I've pretty much fished Saguaro this year and got away from cranks. Maybe I should've thrown more but got tired of pulling grass off the lure every cast.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
i mostly throw lucky craft or rapala in a shad pattern or crawfish i try to stay natural but in the winter burning a chrome rattle trap or a fat free shad can produce good numbers

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Bandit cranks (300 & 200 series) in craw or chartreuse patterns. I stay away from PLine, too. I love MagnaFlex (Stren) for reaction lures (biatcaster)

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Dude go buy a rapala #5 fatrap in the the crawdad colors......and the one shad they make, and you'll catch fish here in Arizona.......I know a crank that acutally seems to outfish that bait, but can't give that up, the Flipman told me don't tell......(Just Kidding)......This is going to sound stupid to most people, but to me tha best fish-catching cranks don't rattle, someone else told me that and I thought they were stupid, so I looked at every crank I caught fish on and I was surprised because that guy was right about that, I'm mean take it for what it's worth, that's what I see, someone might see something else, but honestly for a no frills way to catch crank fish get that #5 fatrap.....tried and true can't go wrong will always catch fish.........

The way I fish it is basically I'm looking for something to bounce the bait off of.......rocks at Bartlett, trees at Pleasant, rocks at Canyon, you get the picture, If the fish are relating to some type of structure right around 8-17 feet this is my money bait besides that damn wired worm.......I crank it down pretty quick and let the bait do it's magic, goes thru rocks and other types of cover "beautifully"...........you want that bill to make as much contact with structure as possible, makes it look like a crawdad fleeing.........if you not getting bit do something different, slow down your retrieve, speed it up, alternate, get tighter to cover.........I am by no means a crankbait master, I just know what baits consistently put fish in the boat and that #5 fat rap is one of them!

Franklin

Also I didn't mention the Norman line of baits, I don't personally fish them but all of my friends do, and they definetly catch alot of fish!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Speaking of crankbaits, sports authority on Cooper and Baseline has a bin of Rapala lures on sale for $2.99.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
franklin, I told you that the cranks that dont rattle are better, so you think Im stupid? :lol:

Im wierd with cranks. I have done really well on them, but rarely toss them. Its like I get a gut feeling, then WHAMMO, the crank bite is on. And it always seems the oldest, most rusted-out and ugly crank I have is the one thats hot. :shock:

Im not really into 15 dollar cranks....
The bargain bin is where I shop. :lol:

·
Registered
766 Posts
One of the best cranks for our lakes are Bandit 200 series. They are my goto baits with fishing for smallies at Apache. And they work well everywhere. Colors bright red, something with chartreuse, crawdad and shad. The size if perfect for the smallies. They have rattles.

Bandits don't have the fancy Japanese finish and I always change out the hooks to Gamakatsu's, but their action is just perfect. They can take the abuse when throwing them into the rocks.

You will need other types and other brands are good. I also like Normans and the have good hooks.

I'm not as well versed on deep divers, don't throw them much, but I do like Normans DD-22's. I use to be a Poe's fan and have a few of the old wood ones.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I used to fish crankbaits in open water a lot at Lake Okeechobee, but I was fishing shallower water 3'-8'. There I favored the Bomber Model A in sizes 5, 6, 7, and 8. I also fished Bill Lewis Rattle Traps quite a bit. Shad and fire tiger colors were my favorite. I also used to like the Rebel Deep Wee R's and the Super R's. In Arizona, I've tried #5 Rapala Fat Raps and Shad Raps, but have found that it doesn't take much to have tuning problems with them, especially the Fat Raps. A friend of mine looked at all my Fat Raps, and found 5 of them that the bills were off-center and untunable right out of the box, and most of the other ones needed tuning out of the box because the bills were slightly off-centered. He recommended NOT bending the front eyelet, but shaving the edge of the bill between the eyelet and the nose of the plug on the side opposite the direction the plug is running. He said to use a small file or a pocket knife.

I bought 3 Norman Deep little N's but the first one out of the box ran crooked and I could not get it tuned and gave up. I may have to give Bandit lures a try. With all the weed growth in Saguaro, I have found myself using other lures around the weeds. 8)

·
Registered
815 Posts
My favorite cranks are cordell big-O for shallow fishing, and normans DD-22 for deep. For middle range, i like excalibers fat free shads. My favorite lipless bait is cordells super spot. I put red reflective eyes on all my cranks, this seems to help expecally if it is a light colored lure like chartruse or white.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck with those fat raps Howard.......

I had to tune a couple of mine a few times here and there........

I usually do what your friend said "don't do" I bend the eyelet a little right or left and that always fixes my problem..........

I think most cranks need some tuning every now and then......

Franklin

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
the abolute crappiest baits I have ever bought were STORM cranks. I had about 15 wiggle warts, a few thin fins and a few rattlin thin craps and seriously 4 out of every 5 needed tuning.

Best baits outta the box: Bomber
2nd place: Rebel

Just my findings. Not getting into Japanese baits or Traps.

Jason

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Bombers are awesome - Fat A for smallies. I'll stick to Bandits on Canyon or Apache where there are smallies, however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts