Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for two rods. I need one for medium cranks and the other for big ones. Can you guys give me some advice on the length, action, and brand that you use. Thanx

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
a good all around crank rod is g-loomis cbr 845/7 med-hvy mod-fast action 10-20 lb test 3/8-1 oz and its a 7 foot rod. you can purchase one for about 200 you can also throw topwater and spinnerbaits on it to

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
St Croix has a crank bait rod in their premier series that's pretty nice. They come in Med and Med Heavy action, with moderate tips. I bought a Med 6.6 with a fast tip and the next week, I saw their crank bait rods and wished I'd tried one of those... another excuse for another rod???

Here's a link. I can't say enough about St Croix rods. I love 'em!

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/spincast.asp?rod=Premier Casting#

If you're willing to pay a bit more, check out their Avid and Legend series rods too!

....Mmmmm St Croix.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
How much do you want to spend on a rod? Then the reels aren't cheap either. Watch the posts for a while and pick up a couple of used ones. Look in the For Sale area on this site. Usually people will say have rods they have benched, and it may be what you are looking for, our would like to try. It would still be a good back up rod. If if makes magic for you, buy a new one for yourself for your Birthday. As for me. I like the combo prices in Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas. I am not wealthy and retired like da, Rippinbladder, or Ken so I have to be conservative. No Loomis rods for me, yet. Dave

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Spidey said:
....... I am not wealthy and retired like da, Rippinbladder, or Ken so I have to be conservative. No Loomis rods for me, yet. Dave
Rippinbladder isn't wealthy and retired, he's just old. .... :shock: Er.... I mean..... :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For the money, I've read good things about the BPS crankin' stiks. I'm looking to buy a med-light one to throw small topwater and cranks with.

SteveM

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Jim at Fishermans Choice,has the NEW Team Diawa,Light and Tough Fiberglass crankbait rods.Thats goin to be my next purchase.I like the fiberglass rods for crankbaits.They run $99.(and there purty too),lol.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Holy carp! Someone mentioned TD LT rods! I love them....never tried the crankin rod though. The price sounds good too.

I have a 7' lite action Falcon Lowrider, and it is by far the best crank rod I have ever had. Its not made for cranks but it seems like it. As for the BPS rods, I had one of their older ones, and loved it..(Before they were a graphite and fiberglass mix) but it was heavy.

The lite action on my Falcon is mostly at the tip, and really helps launch the bait.

As for reels, right now on sale are the BPS David Fritts cranking reels, 50 bucks. I got one and its great. It has a low gear ratio, so even if you had 4 cups of pre-tournament strength coffee, you still dont crank too fast.

Happy crankin.....
Jason

·
Registered
118 Posts
St. Croix in 6'6" gets my nod. I have the 7' model as well that I use for deep cranking, but it is a bit on the heavy side. That mated to a 'souped-up' Citica will do the trick in an affordable way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts