Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I give up. Is this a myth?? I have tried everything I can think of to catch fish on cranks at night but to no avail. I am heading to bartlett tonight and gonna give it one last effort before just saying to hell with it and go back to throwing my fairy stick :riaa: all night... anyone have any results throwing cranks at night around here?? if its gonna happen for me, I would think tonight would be the night with the big moon and all. either way I will report when I get home

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Throw dd-22 along the rocky shore line on west side of main lake. stay close to shore. :lol:

·
Resident Spammer
1,907 Posts
Ok I give up. Is this a myth?? I have tried everything I can think of to catch fish on cranks at night but to no avail. I am heading to bartlett tonight and gonna give it one last effort before just saying to hell with it and go back to throwing my fairy stick :riaa: all night... anyone have any results throwing cranks at night around here?? if its gonna happen for me, I would think tonight would be the night with the big moon and all. either way I will report when I get home
Crank Bait's At Night

Anytime you are fishing parallel to the shoreline, more than likely you are just hitting one depth through the whole retrieve. Cranking parallel should be done after you've established the depth the fish are holding at. Once you figure out the fishes depth you can really hone in and just fish THAT depth with the appropriate crankbait.

To figure out their depth, the easiest way to do it is by quartering a stretch of bank. Put your boat parallel with the bank, say over 20ft of water. You want to throw ahead of the boat as far as you can but as close to the bank as you can get it. You'll be reeling at an angle that is between parallel and perpendicular to the bank. It's called quartering. Thats how most of the seaching with a crankbait begins. Once you start getting bit you will realize where the fish are holding and you can narrow it down to just that area/depth. Thats when you change your crank (DD22) to match that depth.

Crankin' a point is a bit different. A point that you are not familiar with, in my opinion, should FIRST be fished perpendicular straight down the middle from shallow to deep. That is the 'meat' of the spot unless there is brush or rockpiles somehere along the sides of it. If you know where brush or rock is you can just go straight to that stuff but if you don't, you've got to move around the point, fan-casting the entire area until you get bit and figure out something.

Keep in mind any current or channels that are near points. If they are pulling water, the fish may be on top or on the downstream side of the point. When not pulling water, they could be anywhere around it, just roaming. I feel like the very best points in any body of water are ones that dump into the main river channel (on the main lake) and have some type of cover on them whether it be rock, wood, grass, tires or just anything a bass can hide in.

Crankbaits are fun to fish but you just cant go out and throw & reel them blind and expect to clean house.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bounce those cranks off rocks when reeling in, vary the retrieve etc. Also, dont be afraid to throw shallow right into the shoreline. You'll lose a few but will catch fish.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I've never had great success with cranks at night either - there's been a few fish here and there, including a healthy trout on a Shad Rap at Canyon, but never any real consistency.

Lipless cranks have been a whole different story for me, with good numbers at night.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've never had great success with cranks at night either - there's been a few fish here and there, including a healthy trout on a Shad Rap at Canyon, but never any real consistency.

Lipless cranks have been a whole different story for me, with good numbers at night.
they work better due to more rattles,if u want to fish a regular crank body with the same noise as a lipless try a rapala jointed,they are awsome at night

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Bounce those cranks off rocks when reeling in, vary the retrieve etc. Also, dont be afraid to throw shallow right into the shoreline. You'll lose a few but will catch fish.
It has to be bouncing or you have the wrong crank or need to go shallower.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I always use cranks at night and have had real good luck. Like said already, bounce them off the bottom. I use ones with a lot of wobble and I also paint mine black and it seems to work better for me.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
they work better due to more rattles,if u want to fish a regular crank body with the same noise as a lipless try a rapala jointed,they are awsome at night
Not necessarily so - One of my preferred night baits is a Heddon Bayou Boogie which doesn't have rattles. I think my success with them is more due to broader coverage of the water column with a single bait than anything.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Not necessarily so - One of my preferred night baits is a Heddon Bayou Boogie which doesn't have rattles. I think my success with them is more due to broader coverage of the water column with a single bait than anything.
could be, but i fished my shad rap deep runner compaired to my jointed and the fish ratio is like 1 in 3-4

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I see what you are getting at, but it doesn't explain why a non-rattling lipless has turned in the same, if not better numbers for me than a similar rattling bait. Being as you're still waiting for your nuts to drop, you may not be familiar with the old Bayou Boogies, but they are made in a whole different style than other lipless baits. Rather than worry about WHY they work, I'm content with the fact THAT they work.

Why do I fish lizards year round, when everyone knows that they are a springtime bait? Because it works. I take solace in knowing that fish can't read everything that we THINK we know about them.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I see what you are getting at, but it doesn't explain why a non-rattling lipless has turned in the same, if not better numbers for me than a similar rattling bait. Being as you're still waiting for your nuts to drop, you may not be familiar with the old Bayou Boogies, but they are made in a whole different style than other lipless baits. Rather than worry about WHY they work, I'm content with the fact THAT they work.

Why do I fish lizards year round, when everyone knows that they are a springtime bait? Because it works. I take solace in knowing that fish can't read everything that we THINK we know about them.
nuts to drop eh i have like 10 bayou boogies that i tried to sell once,http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/gallery/showimage.php?i=8847&catid=member&imageuser=6571 you shure do like to blab on about things ya dont know about dont ya,kiss it:moon:

·
Registered
540 Posts
You got to hit the bottom. The more contact the better. If the fish are deep try the kneel & reel technique with the rod tip all the way in the water as deep as possible to make contact with the bottom.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
nuts to drop eh i have like 10 bayou boogies that i tried to sell once,http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/gallery/showimage.php?i=8847&catid=member&imageuser=6571 you shure do like to blab on about things ya dont know about dont ya,kiss it:moon:
Thanks for proving my point, you arrogant little bastard.

I was trying to be nice to you, but now I've changed my mind. I happen to have more time on the shitter than you've got on the water, so don't get any bright ideas about trying to tell me how to fish.

I didn't know that your sales pitches were required reading. Forgive me for not paying attention when you taught that particular class.

To quote the great Rodney Dangerfield, "Now I know why tigers eat their young".

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks for proving my point, you arrogant little bastard.

I was trying to be nice to you, but now I've changed my mind. I happen to have more time on the shitter than you've got on the water, so don't get any bright ideas about trying to tell me how to fish.

I didn't know that your sales pitches were required reading. Forgive me for not paying attention when you taught that particular class.

To quote the great Rodney Dangerfield, "Now I know why tigers eat their young".
oh ya "Being as you're still waiting for your nuts to drop" is so nice,if your going to bash im going to bash back

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Hate to tell you, Junior, but you are a KID. Not just a kid, but a spoiled little brat that thinks the world owes him something. Don't like the truth? Too bad. I never "bash" people, I only call it as I see it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Back to the subject! I won two tournaments on Rosy throwing dark craw colored Model-A bombers at night,just fishing the flats, throwing towards shore and bringing them back in 10-26 feet of water.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
40-50 fish nights throwing cranks at Bart it defiantely works, rosey too I've pulled huge #'s cranking. As badaz said dark colors, I like black and red. Keep moving and find rocks to bounce em off. tonight should be good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts