Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little time this am so I figured I would try to get a distributer for some abec7 bearings. this wasnt so easy but I learned a hell of alot about bearings.

to start with most of the bearings that sell on the internet as abec 7 are NOT abec 7 bearings they are generic bearings (made somewhere cheap)that the industry says are equivilent to Abec 7 but they are not certifiable.

A true abec 7 bearing in lots of 100 piece's runs 29.99 ea and is also a certified abec 7 bearing. so those bearings people sell for$8 bucks saying they are abec 7's they are not.

Which doesnt make any difference cause they do make a curado cast nicer..

However talking to the guy at shimano he says that just adding yellow rocket fuel (after cleaning the bearings) will improve the results from a curado that is brand new and not used. The grease/lube they get in these bearings from the factory is heavy and loads the bearing way down.(they dont clean/add rocket fuel to them at shimano before installing them)

Curados come stock with a abec 3 or equivilent .

I was able to find abec 5's and a ceramic abec 3&5, I order some of each and I plan on trying them.

This info came from several big bearing manufacturers That I spoke to this am.

They told me the same thing about using a fake abec7 for skate boards and rolloer blades even hocky pucks.

so bottom line (from what I found out ) is a abec 7 bearing is extremly expensive and rare on certain size's.

Delw

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thanks for the info Delw. I was looking at this on your site last week and I was trying to find some info on those abec 7's. Just to clear the air, can you spell out, clearly, what rocket fuel is??? I mean, not that I don't know what it is, but just in case there is someone else out there who isn't sure if "rocket fuel" is Rosenol or is it something else??? ...I mean, I know, but I don't want to look like a know it all. ...you know what I'm saying??? :wink:

Thanks again for all the info on this subject (and others) on your site. ...and this site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know what your saying LOL

Here are some do's and dont's with bearings. to thick of an oil will cause friction and build up heat(oil gets hot and wont come off the bearing thus heating it up), you need to select a bearing oil that will lubricate but not cause any more friction that the bearings can handle with a load on them(laymans terms)

Machinist know what I am talking about in spindle bearings for machines. we use a real light weight oil(10w)for the spindle and a heavy weight oil for the guides and ways 90 -120wtg. if you put heavy weight oil in a spindle it will fry your spindle( I had one of my employees do this a few years ago)

Yellow rocket fuel is a almost like water in the consistancy but is a oil. hence no drag and or friction. A guy at a bearing place told be the best thing for reels is light sewing machine oil(if you do not have rocket fuel) he fish's and does reel repair as well.

Rocket Fuel Basically its the lightest oil you can use and still have oil property's, but yet not reduce the freeness of the bearing.

I used keroseen one time it worked great for about 6 months then I had to drop a little in again.

Delw

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hey Del what do you use to clean the bearings. My reel starts to kinda squeal after awhile.
It also does not work very well when it cool. Is this a lubrication issue?
How do you go about getting some of that rocket fuel?

Thanks Joe C

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Del

Great info on the bearings. I didn't look into this anymore due to a lack of time.

I don't think anyone local carries Rocket fuel. It can be ordered from Cabela's or some of the stores on this site carry it:
http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/BASStore.HTMl
Make sure you get the Yellow.

Another option that I am using is "Quantum Hot Sauce". I cleaned my curado bearings(simple green, flush w water and blow with compressed air. Lighter fluid is the most reccommended method) and used a drop of this. I found that I had to put on more brakes and tighten down the cast control.

SteveM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boca bearings is the place to get ABEC 7's but you will really not notice a difference between 7's and 5's. Delw is correct about oil, too thick or too much and it will make it worse. I use a hypo to lubricate bearings , two drops max. I also use Corrosion X, Reel X is also good. Boca bearings has a website that you can order from, you just need to know the size. Expect to pay between $8-$10 per bearing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boca bearings only sells abec 5's or less. he is one of the ones that gave me the info. I just set up an acount there this afternoon. Going to try those ceramics out when they get here.

Delw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with the stainless in my opinion. Difference in 7's and 5's in a reel are negligible in a reel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clean out bearings use paint thinner or rubbing alcohol . Less oil is better, but also remember this will make your reel high maintenance. Also once you remove all the oil and relube your reel it will change the properties of casting. What you are talking about is freespooling. The least amount of friction the more the spool will spin. You will need to make some adjustments to cast control and the magnetic adjustments otherewise it will backlash, but once set up you will be surprised.
Here is some other help

http://www.desertdweller.com/articles/shimanospinandbait.asp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a bunch of stainless comeing but figured for the price I would try some ceramics also. the ceramics are abec 3's and are better than a abec 5 in stainless..

Oh yeah if anyone needs any for there curados you want to order size 3mm id x 10mm od x 4mm wide and you will need 2 of them.

Delw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts