Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAD DAUL EXHAST PUT ON THE SILVERADO. CAN'T BELIVE THE POWER DIFFERENCE. I'LL FIND OUT THE MILAGE DIFFERENCE ON THE NEXT COUPLE TANKS.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Is it a split in the exhaust pipes after the muffler or a true dual exhaust with separate pipes from the exhaust manifolds, separate catalytic converters, separate mufflers, and separate tail pipes?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
True duel is better and you’ll notice performance gains. My duel (split pipe) did give me about 1-2mpg increase over what I was previously getting on my F-150. I thought there might have been a performance gain but it was just placebo effect.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Dave, I'm trying to visualize your setup.

So, for example, the left side exhaust manifold feeds into separate exhaust pipes which feed into a single collector pipe that feeds into a catalytic converter, then into a muffler, then to a tailpipe?

And then you have the same thing on the right side of the vehicle?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Duals from the cat converter to 2 chamber flowmasters is the best way to go and still maintain the epa emissions standard. Sounds good and a bit more power from less back pressure, also a bit better mileage on a F-150, 5.4.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
But you lose torque?
You certainly arent going to gain any torque, at least not much but most of the time you wont loose it unless you're going with HUGE pipes and headers that have NO backpressure

-thats my understanding, im no expert but i've worked on cars my entire life

·
Registered
975 Posts
IMO the best exhaust for the chevy 5.3 1/2 ton 2x4 is a GOOD set of headers into one 3 1/2" pipe with a high flow cat into a flowmaster. works and sounds damn good. True dual exhaust like someone else said, has very little back pressure and actually takes away from the low end.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
true dual exhaust with no cats and no muffler and a 4 inch pipe will take away from the low end significantly... True dual with 2 cats, muffler, and 3 inch pipe, wont kill your lower end

·
Registered
975 Posts
true dual exhaust with no cats and no muffler and a 4 inch pipe will take away from the low end significantly... True dual with 2 cats, muffler, and 3 inch pipe, wont kill your lower end
Wont kill it but it does definately take away from it. I have owned quite a few chevy's and had exhaust on all. It depends what you are using the truck for. I like my set-up for all around towing and haulin ass.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have two cats then just 3 inch pipe. Didn't lose bottom end, and its ALOT more responsive. I think having the right program has alot to do with it to

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THE STOCK CATS WERE TESTED AND LEFT ON. ALL I PULL IS THE TRACKER ANY MORE NOT MUCH WEIGHT. BUDDY HAS AN 08 DODGE DECIEL TO PULL THE PONTOON. HAVEN'T GONE THROUGH A TANK OF GAS YET, TO SEE IF THE MILAGE HAS IMPRVOVED. WAS GETTING AROUND 16 TO 17 MPG.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
On my 2009 Chevy 2500HD 4WD, with 6.0L gas engine, I went with Gibson shorty headers to single pipes to the stock catalytic converter, to a Gibson single side rear exhaust system (fewer bends in the pipe than with dual exhausts from the catalytical converter back). I believe that I got better throttle response and of course it sounds great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts