Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nightcrawlers post, purchasing a baitcasting reel is something I know I need to do but have just put off due to countless crows nest viewings of my friends reels, just being used to spincast and spinning reels, and being lazy. Any suggestions for a 1st time user/purchase of a baitcaster reel. I hear alot of people mention curado reels??

serpico

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Bass pro shops Rick Clunn, Pro qualifier or Johnny Morris. they were all built on the 1000 frame and each have a minimum of 7 BB. besudes they have a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well it took me a little while to get used to. I have seen people get pretty discouraged trying to figure these things out. My suggestion to you is buy a bass pro shops reel like boatcop suggested and have someone show you exactly how to cast it. I dont think it is something we can explain just by posting. bottom line is practice, practice, practice. Once you get used to these things they are well worth it. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can tell you this... do not try to go cheap. When I first decided to get one I got the Cabela's Black Label for about $40 I think. What a piece of crap. I tried the regular old Curado's, did not like them, had a hard time casting them. Now I have three Curado Super Frees and love them, they cast great. I have heard many people say good things about the BPS reels that Boat Cop mentioned but have also heard (from Delw) they are a little more touchy and you have to be good with your thumb to avoid the backlash. So... maybe... a Curado SF might be better for a beginner???

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've got two of the Basspro shops Ricky Cluun baitcast reels with 7 ballbearing and love them. My next will be a Johnny Morris addition, great reel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

I found the Rick Clunn and Johnny Morris "Signature Series" reels on BPS. Are those the reels you are referring to?? The Clunn was $80 and the Morris was $130. Both descriptions talked about the reels having 7 ball bearings. You could order the clunn with a approx. a 6:1 retrieve or a 5:1 retrieve for the same price.

serpico

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

I found the Rick Clunn and Johnny Morris "Signature Series" reels on BPS. Are those the reels you are referring to?? The Clunn was $80 and the Morris was $130. Both descriptions talked about the reels having 7 ball bearings. You could order the clunn with a approx. a 6:1 retrieve or a 5:1 retrieve for the same price.

serpico

·
Registered
997 Posts
Tim, I was very (VERY) reluctant to get a baitcaster. I have over 30 spinning rods with even more reels than rods. I figured I could do just about anything with spinning gear that guys could do with baitcasters. I also used the excuse about watching everyone pulling backlashes and nests out of their baitcasters.
I finally broke down and bought 2 of em. They came in the mail this week and I love em already. Yes, they take a little practice, but they can cast and are very smoothe. I'll still use a spinning rod for most of my applications, but some techniques (spooks) really need baitcasting gear to work right.
I bought the Bass Pro Shops XPS Extreme Baitcaster Combo for $99. That's a screamin' deal. The rod retails for $100 by itself (Woo Daves medium heavy 6'-6"). The reel is 6:3:1 (you can always reel slower but it's nice to have the faster ratio). The combo is on page 37 in the catalog. The reel retails for $80. A couple guys I know have Curados and say they like the BPS Extreme reel just about as much. Walkerdawg used it yesterday and is going to order one. He uses a Curado but liked this reel and loved the rod.
I practiced with it one night and used it yesterday. I highly recommend buying one. It's not that hard to learn. If you don't go with the Extreme combo, at least get the Curado, Clunn or Morris.
Let me know if you need to know the rookie pointers with the settings and how to get started.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I was used to using Abu Garcia 5500 red reels with bushings and no bearings. There were OK 20 years ago. Delw said he liked his Shimano Curado's but had just bought some Rick Clunn Signature baitcasting reels and loved them. So I bought 2 Rick Clunn's for $80 each and really love them. So I bought 4 more and got them last week. I am going to replace my other Ambassador 5500's with these Rick Clunn signature reels from Bass Pro Shops. I don't have a lot of problems getting backlashes even though I cut my teeth on bushing reels. They are really smooth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rippinlips,

I just ordered a BPS extreme baitcaster! Thanks for to all for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes!!

tim

·
Registered
512 Posts
HEY SERPICO, BEFORE YOU GO AND SPEND A DIME GO TO YOUR LOCAL FISHIN SHOP OR WAL-MART AND PUT A BAITCASTER IN YOUR HAND AND SEE HOW IT FEELS WITH A ROD, REMEMBER IT NEEDS TO FEEL COMFORTABLE TO YOU NO MATTER HOW MANY BALL BEARINGS IT HAS, HOW IT FEELS IN YOUR HANDS IS VERY IMPORTANT. I OWN TWO CU- 1OO'S BY SHIMANO THERE SMALL REELS BUT CAST LIKE A DREAM TO ME THEY FIT LIKE GLOVES, TO YOU THEY MIGHT FEEL TO SMALL. THE BOTTOM LINE SERPY IS GO AND ACTUALLY PUT ONE IN YOUR HANDS BEFORE YOU BUY YOU WONT REGRET IT. :lol:
  • "REMEMBER, IT'S CALLED FISHING NOT CATCHING"

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Serpico, I have three Curados and a Johnny Morris baitcaster. Hands down, I love the Johnny Morris reel! The Curado super free comes in a close second! Good luck with your BPS reel. Just practice casting on a pond, pool, or near by canal. It's best to get the "feel" and control of the outgoing line before you climb into a boat and cast and try to cast. Don't get upset if you get a little rats nest once in awhile, it only happens to me on every fourth cast. :lol:

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I gotta agree with Matt on this one. I have 4 Extreme's, 1 Clunn, 2 Johnny Morris, and 1 Curado. All three BPS models feel more comfortable to me. Factor in price and the Extreme is going to be tough to beat. Without factoring in price I'll take the Johnny Morris. That's why I bought a second one. Don't forget EBAY, as well.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i personally use the Basspro shops Ricky Cluun baitcast reels. But if your like most new bait caster users, you will get frustratted atleast 3 times,and say that it was a waste of your money...just keep trying there great once you figure them out.......

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Serpico, when it comes in pull all the brakes out, that will help in the backlashes until you get good.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Tim
for your first baitcast buy a curado. the clunn is a better reel but it takes more thumb control, the curado if you set it up properly you dont have to thumb the reel.

if you get anything else you will be unhappy. Ive bought cheaper reels before the curado and was unhappy. this is one thing that price does make a difference. your more than welcome to borrow one of my curados and try it.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts