Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got drawn for mule deer in 23 this year i am new to hunting and was wondering if i am allowed to use my bow for the hunt? It might be a dumb question but i would just love to use my bow for my first deer!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes yo are allowed but!!!! Everone else will be using centerfire rifles and possibly muzzelloaders, so after opening morning the deer will be skittish. Az has some nice archery seasons, 3 weeks Aug/Sept, and mid Dec/Jan. If you don't take one with rifle you can still hunt the December hunt with bow, just buy an over the counter archery tag. Not trying to discouarage you about bow it can be done, but your odds are better with a centerfire rifle. I did'nt hunt the Aug/Sept season as I got my first choice for rifle. If I don't get one I'll be hunting the December hunt with bow for sure.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would take both. You can start out with the bow and if it seems like you are having a tough time switch to the rifle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
unit 23

Why, would you want to use a bow ,on a rifle hunt ? you can shoot 300 yards vs. 50 yards with a bow. I would shoot a rifle if this is the first time hunting unit 23.Glass the area hard, good bucks in there. and will be very hard stalking within bow range in nov. hunt the canyons your shots can range from 200-450yard shots I would go with Rifle. good luck on the hunt.

·
Registered
990 Posts
i am takin my bow as well as my rifel. i am hunting unit 33 ( MT lemmon area) you are right about the deer being skittish. My plan is, being i really want a deer with my bow, up high around the buildings and homes up there i will try to take one with my bow. The deer really seem to be up higher so thats what i wanna try first. If it doesnt go how i planned, the 270 will be with me. Good luck man and have a blast.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really want to take one with my bow too! i have the whole week off work so mabye i will switch to my .270 after a few days if i have too. It looks like i have to buy some new arrows and a new scope! any one have a leopold that they want to sell?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Nothin like stalkin in to about 20 yrds and then you hear something hit a rock 10 yrds away between you and the deer, the rock explodes and dirt flys everywhere, then you hear a enormous boom, as you were about to come to full draw, some guy lets 1 fly from a 300 ultra mag from a hill 900 yards away and just about takes you out. HA HA HA good luck.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hunt with a bow if you want but make sure you take your rifle with you some of the country you will encounter is not archery friendly. It sure would suck to glass a good buck in thick brush and not be able to take him casue all you have is a bow with you. 23 does not have a Dec. archery hunt this year. There are a few units that lost the Dec. archery hunt.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I dont know man, its hard for me to get within shooting distance of deer period. If your new to hunting deer you probably wont see very many, but good luck, hope you stick one!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nothin like stalkin in to about 20 yrds and then you hear something hit a rock 10 yrds away between you and the deer, the rock explodes and dirt flys everywhere, then you hear a enormous boom, as you were about to come to full draw, some guy lets 1 fly from a 300 ultra mag from a hill 900 yards away and just about takes you out. HA HA HA good luck.
good point. just wear u orange....lots of orange. Its hunting. goes both ways though. lots of dumbass's out there

·
Registered
990 Posts
Take the bow if you want but...

1- There will be 624 other hunters in that same unit hunting mule deer with there rifles.

2- If you have not already scouted the area and have several spots already picked out chances are you will not get within shooting distance of any deer even a doe.

3- Why bring a bow to a shoot out?

Not trying to talk you out of something you want to do but save the bow for bow season when there is not 600 guys out there with rifles. If you need any tips on the area PM me. I know the unit well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts