Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Tough question...A lot depends on who you plan on working for and how they look at DeVry. At one time Motorola used to not think much of DeVry, that was 20 years ago and a lot has changed. For one thing Motorola is almost totally gone now.

IMO I think a University degree has a slight edge. A lot of time a recruiter looking at a resume might not give a lot of weight to someone who went to DeVry. I've seen that, and then I have seen just the opposite because they though that DeVry had more hands on.

Best thing is contact a couple companies who you have a target on to work for and see how they view that program.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
DeVry has been an accredit University for about 10 years now. And there is a lot of hands on work, as well as working in teams/groups and the curriculum is pretty tough as well.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tough question...A lot depends on who you plan on working for and how they look at DeVry. At one time Motorola used to not think much of DeVry, that was 20 years ago and a lot has changed. For one thing Motorola is almost totally gone now.

IMO I think a University degree has a slight edge. A lot of time a recruiter looking at a resume might not give a lot of weight to someone who went to DeVry. I've seen that, and then I have seen just the opposite because they though that DeVry had more hands on.

Best thing is contact a couple companies who you have a target on to work for and see how they view that program.
Yeah I heard that like 10 years ago....I reason why I looked at DeVry is I already have a mechanical engineering degree from ASU, but that field aint lookin so bright and bio med is looking awesome, and looking at the course requirements it looks like I need 7-9 classes for that degree.....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Jamal, I know Intel hires technical people from Devry so i see no reason why other big companies wouldnt. I think you are actually picking a pretty good field to get into. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm a graduate from their electronic tech program in 82 and have never worked a day in that field. Back then their placement sucked arse but they built it up to be the greatest thing around, not sure now.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Yeah I heard that like 10 years ago....I reason why I looked at DeVry is I already have a mechanical engineering degree from ASU, but that field aint lookin so bright and bio med is looking awesome, and looking at the course requirements it looks like I need 7-9 classes for that degree.....
Bio-Med or for that matter any field in Bio science's is and will be the hot ticket for a long time. With your BSME, by all means hit it. Hell you should already be in it and not asking these questions...LOL.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Over the years I have hired many engineers/engineering techs from a lot of tech schools and the Devry grads were always a notch or two above the rest.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I graduated from DeVry with a BSEET in 83. DeVry Institute was accredited back then as it is now. I personally experienced the prejudices back then, but it was the degree I have and not the school that was the problem. The school has changed considerably since then. My wife and I still have friends who work there. From what I understand, they focus pretty hard on nursing now. The school is also very expensive. I would be careful with them telling you you only need 7-9 classes. I have always understood that you needed at least half of the credits required for a degree from that school. I could be wrong though. Couple of things I do believe you will get over going to a University is smaller classes and professors who actually give a s***. From my son's experience, ASU does not(ME degree). As others have said, do some research with Biomed companies as well.

SteveM

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
See if the USAF will pay for a MS at ASU, do something with bio-engr. They are always hurting for mech-E's since a lot of that stuff needs solid mechanical analysis. Those MEMS sensors are pretty cool, so are the prosthetic materials. If you already have the BSE it's only 3-4yrs (if you are working) for the MSE, plus they have some online stuff unless they cut it but it was pricey from what I remember.

I think I have some papers here and there (journal papers) if you want some reading material on what's getting done for thesis' and such, just let me know.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Experience is what matters as long as you have any type of degree. Devry wouldn't hurt but may not get you the job in that field. I've hired hundreds of technical people and don't have any problem with Devry. I've hired ITT people who could barely read but also know ASU and other university people who have a problem with it.
Sales makes money and you can get a sales job with any degree. You may have to start a little low but if you are any good you'll make than management within two years.
I'd spend my time and money getting a MBA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts