Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Az. I have heard alot of people say you do NOT need a muffler on a diesel truck. I have heard some say you do, I looked up the state laws and my brain can't take all the crap they have to read through. There are like 10,000,000 laws. Any of you that can help, anyone passed w/o a muffler, anyone been turned down because of no muffler? I allready cut it out and welded in a straight piece, but at some point I'll have to go through emissions.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
In Az. I have heard alot of people say you do NOT need a muffler on a diesel truck. I have heard some say you do, I looked up the state laws and my brain can't take all the crap they have to read through. There are like 10,000,000 laws. Any of you that can help, anyone passed w/o a muffler, anyone been turned down because of no muffler? I allready cut it out and welded in a straight piece, but at some point I'll have to go through emissions.
Dude they look for it....thats all they really do.....Best thing to do is go thru emmisions, and if you get flagged fix it....if not go on your way.....What year is your truck? Some years didn't have cats...you might get a dumb emmisions dude and get away w/it....Best thing to do is to hollow out the cat or particulate filter....I run my cat because my rig gets annoying sounds wise after 5 hours of driving...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive never had a problem with my truck.i run straight pipe all the way out. no cat no muffler but i have a f-350 1 ton i dont know if that matters.i was told that 1 tons dont have to have cats. i would call dmv that might help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have a 2003 7.3l that i cut the muffler out of and had no probs with the dmv. it also had no factory cat. didnt really like the sound it produced or the restriction in the factory pipe. the straight pipe was pretty pointless. the guys down at itp diesel hooked me up with 4" stainless magna flow exuast for $400 shipped to my door. and they are local. my ol lady also had an 04 6.0l, factory cat with the muffler cut out and no probs with dmv. cant see why it would be a prob.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
kevin i install diesel performance exhaust's all the time,$400.00 bucks shipped to you is a good deal,our's run close to $800.00 installed. the turbo pipe install is a real b!tch and you need two people to get it done, the cat i would loose, only california emission's would require it, most don't have it. it's hard to miss they are huge on the diesel's it will be just past the down pipe near the tranny. bumping up the turbo pipe (3-1/2") is by far one of the best perfomace things you can do for a diesel,trash the muffler,they suck, and straight pipe it or put in a straight through muffler, the muffler help's get rid of the 60mph roar you get in them,especially when towing!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i also am running 4 inch from the turbo back on a 2004 chevy duramax. went thru emmisions/inspection last saturday, they didnt say anything. i dont have cat or muffler.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1996 and up are tested OBD II they plug it into CPU. 1996 and older they test opacity the density of the emmisions. Gone are the days of the mirror with wheels (at least for diesel)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a 2000 F350. They check for opacity. Never had a cat during all my years. This is first year I lost muffler. Due next month we'll see what they say. It's pretty loud.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kevin, I have a 2003 ford 7.3 and it doesnt have a cat only a muffler on it. I have upgraded the exhaust to 4 inch from turbo back for $300 shipped to the door. The kit came with a new high flow muffler that I installed. I Installed it myself took 1 1/2 hours for uninstall and reinstall. You get more torque and cool sound to your truck with no high speed turbo whine. It also runs a lower turbo temps which makes it last longer and cools down faster.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i agree with fed up. my motor seems to run smoother as well. the install on mine took about 2 hours. nice sound and cooler temps. the straight pipe is a waste.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ok dudes how loud is it without a cat? My Dodge is loud w/ both...

Kevin I messed up I thought you were talking about a CAT not muffler....the DMV doesn't give a shit about mufflers...

Did you here mine it has no cat or mufler 4 in down pipe and 5in the rest of the way out its loud enough that when your towing and pass a semi on a hill they will jump in there seats a lil bit. not to loud when you not in it though

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just got off the phone w/ ADEQ, they are the emissions testers I guess. They said you do not need a muffler to pass. If you have a cat converter, you will need that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Franlin, u can't hallow out a dpf thats crazy talk. aero turbine mufflers what a joke if i ever heard one. straight pipe will flow better no matter what anyone says.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts