Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any major diff in the two? There going to put a new trolling motor on my boat :shock: he said it would be a 24 volt instead of the 12/24 thats on the boat now. Or should i tell them to put the same kind on. Also i found out that the TM shaft was 50" long which was way to long for my boat. There going to put a shorter one on. I've got my fingers crossed that nothing happens to my boat.Supposed to pick it up on wed.

Joe C

G

·
The 12/24 volts were just that they ran on 12 or 24 volts(depending on a switch setting). the 12 volt setting on the max would run slower than the 24volt setting on the max.

the newer straight 24 volt motors have a infinate switch, you have a 1 2 3 etc but you can also run in between the numbers(unlike the 12/14) so you get the best of both worlds all on the speed dial.

Delw

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
12/24 Trolling Motor

Joe,

The biggest difference between the 24 and 12/24 is the speed control. A 12/24 uses a resistive speed control, hence the discrete 1, 2, 3...ect power settings. A straight 24 V motor uses Pulse Width Modulation to control the speed. It operates much like an AC motor.

The major benefit to straight 24 is the power usage. Your batteries will last much longer with a PWM controlled motor....this is because a 12/24 uses almost the same amount of energy on low as it does on high.

The downside is that PWM's generate tons of electrical noise. This plays havoc on many sonars, the more sensitive, the worse it can be. You can eliminate the problem by using only the trolling batteries for the trolling motor, using grounding straps, and eliminating any ground loops you may have in your boat's electrical system.

I'd definitely get the straight 24 if it was me.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey basstrix
So your saying that if my grafhs are hooked up to my TMB i should run the power & ground to the cranking Batt?. The fishmark 320 is hooked up the TMBattwiyh the transducer on the trolling motor.
One other ? what are grounding straps & loops or is that something that should be there already.
Thanks for your help
P.S does your biomaster have the shallowspool?
Joe C

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
12/24 Trolling Motor

Here's a link about ground loops and grounding your trolling motor....but yes, you'd think they'd already have the ground straps in place from the factory.

http://www.thebassguide.com/acrobat_files/Interference.pdf

Yes, the power and ground for your sonar should be connected to your start battery and your boat's electrical system should be completely isolated from the trolling motor's electrical system.

Yep, my biomasters have shallow spools too. Makes it cheap to re-spool :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.