Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its jig time (oh and swimbait time in some spots :p )...do we have any hardcore jog guys or gals here? I know Rackman is killer with jigs, but anyone else? Im a jig master in training.....
Jason

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have been called deadly with a jig last year but I shyed away this year for some reason, I wanted to find another go to bait. but I guess its time to grab the jig and pig and head on out to one of our beautiful lakes.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I'm just curious. What makes the jig and pig so good this time of year? Do the crawdads/crawfish hibernate when the water cools down or are they out walking around feeding at night still?

G

·
mainly cause you are fishing slow. however jigs and pigs work all year and are always good for big bass. I feel they work just as good in july as they do in jan.
I know guys that won mainy tournys this summer with jigs.

Delw

G

·
The awesome jig and pig!!! I like them cause you can fish them in so many different ways and they come in so many many different styles. I was wondering if anybody has tried the " stone jigs" and if so how did you like them. And what is your favorite trailer to put on your jigs? Be it a zipper worm, craw, splitworm, pork, and what size of trailer do you prefer? Joe Owens should get in on this topic he is a jigging fool of the good kind!

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jigs just are awesome, and not too many people throw them regularly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jason, One of the best jig fisherman on this board is DREAMER. He has been quite for awhile but is anawsome jig guy!!

G

·
Jig Fishing

Good morning guy's, I hope you are all having a nice week. Speaking of jigs, I just finished making 4 dozen. Jason, these guy's are right about jigs being a big fish lure, but they can also be a numbers bait, especially on the smallies on Canyon and Apache. I was fortunate when I was younger in that I had a very good tournament fisherman teach me to fish jigs on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. But my teaching was not without pain, he would actually pop you in the ear hard with a rod tip if your presentation was not what he felt was correct. If you have any questions about weight, colors, rattles, hook styls, etc. feel free to e-mail me at Bassbacker2aol.com. Have a great day guy's.....Joe

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe...
Ouch! At least he didnt shove you in the water! I would like to see some of the jigs you make sometime....I usually just fish the plastic jigs but Im trying to cross into the jig n pig arena. I just dont like losing a rig that was about 5 bucks including the trailer on like 4 consecutive casts. I guess thats all part of getting your bait where the fish are. Im thinking about trying to make up some of my own here after the tourney winnings start piling up! :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm a big fan of jigs and use them regularly. One thing that I hadn't read was about people using hair jigs. A little quarter ounce darter head hair jig in white or yellow can be extremely deadly when the water drops into the 50s. Especially on smallies in Canyon. I used to know someone who tied them but he moved a while ago and unfortunately can't find a manufacturer who makes them like he did. Any way...I love jigs!

-Dave King

G

·
I wish someone would post how they fish jigs, someone who is proficient at it). thats one thing I been working on.
I have no problem getting my jigs with worms working
but a jig head with a yamamoto twin tail or stainly or strike king, I havent picked up but one fish in 4 years and that was a huge ass carp.

Delw

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I'm with Delw on this (sort of). I'm not a jig fisherman but really would like to know one (or several) of the many, many ways to fish them. Can anyone go through a cast and retrieve description??? PLEASE! :oops:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Here is my attempt to describe my jig fishing.

Working a flat can be done a couple ways. Cast out, allow jig to hit bottom then start reeling at a med to fast rate. This will allow the jig to swim across the flat. Hits on this will be similar to a crankbait. You can also hop the jig back with short pops, or sweeps of the rod. Be careful with the amount of distance you move the rod tip because the jig can move higher and longer than you may think. Watch one in a pool or shallow water. Here you are trying to imitate a crawfish scooting backwards. A lot of the hits on this will come as the jig falls and can be very sutle.

Working walls or steep banks is a little different. Cast the jig to the wall and drop it down any available ledges. After the cast, pull out extra line to allow the jig to fall verticle to the wall. When you land on a ledge, pull lightly to get the jig to just fall off the edge to the next ledge. Watch your line for the bite.

From my experience, the best hookset method is a horizontal sweep. Jig fish have a tendency to come straight up and will throw the bait. I started 'tweaking' the jig hooks. I bend the hook left or right about 30 degrees off from the eyelet then twist the hook point back toward the eyelet. I also bend the hook shaft down slightly to open the gap of the hook. This seems to have improved my hookup percentage and contributed to less thrown jigs. In my opinion, Yamamoto jigs, skirts, etc are the best plastic. My jighead preference is a 1/4 oz football head but will go to 1/2 oz for a faster fall or deeper water sometimes. I buy jig heads in big bags, you will loose them.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love spider jigs. Just not stock ones. :lol:
The rocks like them too though :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts