Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Does the cost of tackle really matter

• I only buy my tackle at the cheapest place in town

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • I goto a store for cheap tackle but buy higher priced items because I'm there

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • It makes no difference what the price is. I need it I buy it.

Votes: 233 72.4%
  • I call around for the best deal.

Votes: 33 10.2%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
627 Posts
you need to buy the stuff that works so you will have to pay the price. Custom made, retail bought, or home made you have pay a price either way. Even the guys that make their own jigs and worms for themselves invest their time and money.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Depends. A good example is Yamamoto vs. Kinami. For CERTAIN colors, I have seen no difference in results, however the Yamamotos have certain colors I pay more for too.

Buzzbaits are another one. I like the Yamamotos but I'm fairly certain I have caught a lot of good fish on a tri-blade strike king that I bought at a liquidation sale several years ago for less than $1, I just keep replacing/changing the skirts out. Simlar story for spinnerbaits too, I tend to do okay with the cheaper brands just as much as the more expensive ones.

Swimbaits, hooks, plastics, topwaters, jigs, assorted yamamoto soft baits, robos, and a few others I will buy what I know works for me and do my best not to look at the price tag, cringe after I checkout, and get the hell out before I spend anymore money.

Rods & reels I definitely pay attention because again I have got more fish landed on my 10yr old <$100 rods than I do my newer >$100 rods. I try to keep my rod & reel limit at $150 or so for either ($300 combo), I just don't have a need for the pricier rod/reels and I'll probably never be on MTV Cribs either. Your rod/reel is kind of an investment so it's better to buy something decent so you can get multiple years of use out of it, but does $300 make a rod decent? I don't think so.

One thing that without a doubt makes me cringe because it's an absolute consumable is fluorocarbon line. I like it, but the trees and rocks here eat it up, one knick in that line and the yield strength takes a big crap on you. I bet I go through 6-10ft of that stuff every trip I make. Thank God I don't use Sunline.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I dont I just walk into a store and buy it, I never look at fishing tackle prices , I grab what I need and take it up to the counter.
but I dont plan to go shopping, hell I dont plan to do anything, I just get it when I need it.

theres been a few times that I get that " DAMN the Wardens going to Kick my Ass" Feeling.

Delw
Yeah, because you're buying fishing gear and you NEVER go fishing. My wife would kick my ass too if I started "collecting" hooks and worms.

I pay whatever the price is for what I need. Sometimes I buy shit that I don't need if it's a good deal..... like that Baby Duck topwater bait that I have.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I dont I just walk into a store and buy it, I never look at fishing tackle prices , I grab what I need and take it up to the counter...
I'd be dead-ass broke if I did this LOL!! I always feel I need more than I really do in those damn stores. I know I've cleared the shelf on a color that has been working for me, more than just a few times too.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The majority of rods/reels/lures I own, I acquired online. The majority of my terminal tackle, I buy in bulk whenver possible, usually at sportsmans. Still looking for that good source of tungsten/brass in bulk, I just can't spend $ for such a miniscual amount of sinkers.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
You spend all this money on tackle you really don't need yet you bi*tch when the State wants to raise the park entry fees to stay up with the cost of living and cost associated with the up keep of the parks. One dirty restroom and they would be slammed on here for it.....If you enjoy the parks suck it up and pay.

Not intended for any one person just a general statement to all......especially those who voted on the kick my ass poll

·
Registered
429 Posts
You spend all this money on tackle you really don't need yet you bi*tch when the State wants to raise the park entry fees to stay up with the cost of living and cost associated with the up keep of the parks. One dirty restroom and they would be slammed on here for it.....If you enjoy the parks suck it up and pay.

Not intended for any one person just a general statement to all......especially those who voted on the kick my ass poll
DUMBASS

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Poll does not reflect the question. But to answer the question, yes it does. I believe you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It depends on what the tackle is - Lures, line, plastics, hooks etc I buy what I know will work for me regardless of the cost. Time on the water is valuable to me and I want to make the most out of it.
Rods/reels - I tend to figure out what I'm after and then shop for the best price because the mark up on rods is extreme there's always a deal out there someplace and thats worth the effort to find. (on line, stores or whatever)

·
Registered
312 Posts

Are you serious.. there is so much that can be said by your comment, but I dont care to get in a pissing contest on here. Dirty restroom.. WTF.. how about ramps and other $hit.. but lets charge the pupblic so we can drive state vehicles, and only be seen once a day... Ok

·
Registered
718 Posts

puto you stupid

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I buy what I want, but will shop around to some degree. If Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way has what I want in stock when I am there I usually buy it from Harold regardless of the price, but if I have to order it on-line to get what I want I'll shop around and even check ebay.

The thing is that while I'm not a top ten angler (or even a top 50 some days LOL) I'm learning my home area and actually reducing the amount of things I need so it makes it a lot easier. When you have certain things you buy routinely you just know what they cost from different places, or what it cost the last few times you bought it. Its not really price shopping, but it winds up being that way just because I know the prices.

Of course when you say shop between stores there really aren't many options in Yuma. You have a choice between Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way or Wal-Mart. Sportsmen's has 10 times the selection in tackle, and they don't stock all the cheap brands of rods or reels. I go to Sportsmen's because they have the better selection.

I can hear some guy in the background whispering about Big 5 or Sports Authority, but that guy can't really think that and be an actual fisherman. Those stores have nothing for selection, so there is no point in even going there. They could be 50% off on the few things they have and it wouldn't be worth the diesel to drive a few blocks further down the road to go there.

So I guess the correct answer for me is not on the poll. I pick a local store for selection, but I am aware of the price.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
cheap - no, but on sale and enough to last several years on baits i use all the time. if its a bait that i don't use much i'll just buy it.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
price matters A LOT for me... But i really dont have much money compared to some of you guys

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
If I need an item right then and there, I'll pay the higher price, but I generally stock up on what I know I'll need and buy from somewhere that has a reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts