Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Does the cost of tackle really matter

• I only buy my tackle at the cheapest place in town

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • I goto a store for cheap tackle but buy higher priced items because I'm there

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • It makes no difference what the price is. I need it I buy it.

Votes: 233 72.4%
  • I call around for the best deal.

Votes: 33 10.2%

Does the cost of tackle really matter

9K views 82 replies 57 participants last post by  Evilmonkey 
#1 ·
How many people really care about the cost. seriously think very hard about it. I am not asking if you want it cheaper I am asking if you only goto a store and buy only whats cheaper.

#3 ·
Depends. A good example is Yamamoto vs. Kinami. For CERTAIN colors, I have seen no difference in results, however the Yamamotos have certain colors I pay more for too.

Buzzbaits are another one. I like the Yamamotos but I'm fairly certain I have caught a lot of good fish on a tri-blade strike king that I bought at a liquidation sale several years ago for less than $1, I just keep replacing/changing the skirts out. Simlar story for spinnerbaits too, I tend to do okay with the cheaper brands just as much as the more expensive ones.

Swimbaits, hooks, plastics, topwaters, jigs, assorted yamamoto soft baits, robos, and a few others I will buy what I know works for me and do my best not to look at the price tag, cringe after I checkout, and get the hell out before I spend anymore money.

Rods & reels I definitely pay attention because again I have got more fish landed on my 10yr old <$100 rods than I do my newer >$100 rods. I try to keep my rod & reel limit at $150 or so for either ($300 combo), I just don't have a need for the pricier rod/reels and I'll probably never be on MTV Cribs either. Your rod/reel is kind of an investment so it's better to buy something decent so you can get multiple years of use out of it, but does $300 make a rod decent? I don't think so.

One thing that without a doubt makes me cringe because it's an absolute consumable is fluorocarbon line. I like it, but the trees and rocks here eat it up, one knick in that line and the yield strength takes a big crap on you. I bet I go through 6-10ft of that stuff every trip I make. Thank God I don't use Sunline.

#4 ·
I dont I just walk into a store and buy it, I never look at fishing tackle prices , I grab what I need and take it up to the counter.
but I dont plan to go shopping, hell I dont plan to do anything, I just get it when I need it.

theres been a few times that I get that " DAMN the Wardens going to Kick my Ass" Feeling.

Delw

#5 ·
I dont I just walk into a store and buy it, I never look at fishing tackle prices , I grab what I need and take it up to the counter.
but I dont plan to go shopping, hell I dont plan to do anything, I just get it when I need it.

theres been a few times that I get that " DAMN the Wardens going to Kick my Ass" Feeling.

Delw
Yeah, because you're buying fishing gear and you NEVER go fishing. My wife would kick my ass too if I started "collecting" hooks and worms.

I pay whatever the price is for what I need. Sometimes I buy shit that I don't need if it's a good deal..... like that Baby Duck topwater bait that I have.

#7 ·
The majority of rods/reels/lures I own, I acquired online. The majority of my terminal tackle, I buy in bulk whenver possible, usually at sportsmans. Still looking for that good source of tungsten/brass in bulk, I just can't spend $ for such a miniscual amount of sinkers.

#8 ·
You spend all this money on tackle you really don't need yet you bi*tch when the State wants to raise the park entry fees to stay up with the cost of living and cost associated with the up keep of the parks. One dirty restroom and they would be slammed on here for it.....If you enjoy the parks suck it up and pay.

Not intended for any one person just a general statement to all......especially those who voted on the kick my ass poll

#12 ·
It depends on what the tackle is - Lures, line, plastics, hooks etc I buy what I know will work for me regardless of the cost. Time on the water is valuable to me and I want to make the most out of it.
Rods/reels - I tend to figure out what I'm after and then shop for the best price because the mark up on rods is extreme there's always a deal out there someplace and thats worth the effort to find. (on line, stores or whatever)

#13 ·
You spend all this money on tackle you really don't need yet you bi*tch when the State wants to raise the park entry fees to stay up with the cost of living and cost associated with the up keep of the parks. One dirty restroom and they would be slammed on here for it.....If you enjoy the parks suck it up and pay.

Not intended for any one person just a general statement to all......especially those who voted on the kick my ass poll

Are you serious.. there is so much that can be said by your comment, but I dont care to get in a pissing contest on here. Dirty restroom.. WTF.. how about ramps and other $hit.. but lets charge the pupblic so we can drive state vehicles, and only be seen once a day... Ok

#15 ·
I buy what I want, but will shop around to some degree. If Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way has what I want in stock when I am there I usually buy it from Harold regardless of the price, but if I have to order it on-line to get what I want I'll shop around and even check ebay.

The thing is that while I'm not a top ten angler (or even a top 50 some days LOL) I'm learning my home area and actually reducing the amount of things I need so it makes it a lot easier. When you have certain things you buy routinely you just know what they cost from different places, or what it cost the last few times you bought it. Its not really price shopping, but it winds up being that way just because I know the prices.

Of course when you say shop between stores there really aren't many options in Yuma. You have a choice between Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way or Wal-Mart. Sportsmen's has 10 times the selection in tackle, and they don't stock all the cheap brands of rods or reels. I go to Sportsmen's because they have the better selection.

I can hear some guy in the background whispering about Big 5 or Sports Authority, but that guy can't really think that and be an actual fisherman. Those stores have nothing for selection, so there is no point in even going there. They could be 50% off on the few things they have and it wouldn't be worth the diesel to drive a few blocks further down the road to go there.

So I guess the correct answer for me is not on the poll. I pick a local store for selection, but I am aware of the price.

#24 ·
I didnt think it was that expensive till I took a buncha kids and in-experienced family members to striper fish.I didnt bring any bait hooks,and they went thru all my d-shot hooks and worm hooks.They must have used 25-40 hooks on those little stripers and cleaned out my box.Now replacing them was more than I thought!!lol

#25 ·
The only time I think about price is when I try a new bait and it doesn't run straight or is low quality at a high price. One case in point, I bought a shit load of the Iaconelli Tru-Tungsten Ikey shakey jig heads and they IMO are crap. I liked the look of the wide gap and small head tungsten gave it. Some jig heads were loose on the hook right out of the bag others were fine for a few cast and would become loose. My bad though, I should have tried a pack or two before making a big purchase.

#32 ·
We have been trying to stay out of the tackle stores as much as possible the past few months. A trip to Bass Pro or Sportsmans can get pretty expensive for us cuz we generally buy by sight not price and since there is TWO of us "shopping" at the same time when we get up to the register it is always a shock! Will likes to buy in quanities too........2 of this color, 3 of that, blah blah, oh lets get some of this or that too! With the economy the way it is I think a few people are a little more cautious nowdays and maybe are starting to look at the price a little more often.

#33 ·
I just give one example.

I have a RC3.5 sexy shad. 15.99
I also have BPS version of it, looks pretty similar. 5.99

My RC has been off rocks, trees, caught over a dozen 5+ pounders. It runs true just like when I got it. NO teeth marks, hooks in perfect shape. This lure is my go to lure.

The BPS version doesn't have the same tight wobble. I still catchs fish but its not the same. After I got a 3lb on it the thing will not swim right and the paint is all teeth marked up.

In conclusion yea cheaper stuff will work but for me confidence is numero uno for me. I want every advantage I can get on other anglers. That being said choose to fish what ever you believe in. For me higher quality stuff is most important.

A little of topic but this is also how I am with the rods and reels. Top of the line stuff is lighter and more sensitive meaning you feel bites with slack on the line and while retrieving.

Just my 2cents.

#34 ·
This is a bit difficult to answer. Guess I try to balance quality with cost. But to some degree it depends on what Im shopin for.That being said what I consider quality for my fishin might not apply to others. Rods for example I have rods StCroix Avid, Crucial, Powells Gloomis in the $140 to $200 price range. I really like all these outfits . Point is I can get what I want in that price range so Im not payin more than that. . I wont pay $ 12 or $15 for a lure. $3 to $6 or $7 pretty much max for me. Bottom line I would say I pay based on what I need to have to sastisy my fishin appetite. I wont buy stuff because its cheap . Ill buy it if its cheap and I think it will get me a fish. Also I think it has a lot to do with what items your lookin for. Fishin line for ex fluro and the brand I will choose will be based more on performance and my confidence with it as vs the cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.