Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THe Miami Dolphins are systematically picking apart the Colts defense with the Wildcat Offense. Basically all commentary on the game points to the fact that NFL defenses do not have any way to defend this look. None of these guys have defended the option since college. The only thing keeping them from using the Wildcat more is the fact that they don't have a great passer back there when they use it. Now, Imagine Tebow back there, he can run, throw and he's great in the option. Maybe not an everydown guy but really anymore in the NFL if you don't have two QBs capable of starting a game your hosed anyway.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yeah but at the end when it counted, the play calling sucked ass! So did Ted Ginn Jr, stupid Buckeye! Props to Manning, of coarse.

Go Phins

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can't wait til next year when my Fins don't come out lookin like pop warner!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's game 2 the Fins aren't my team but I wouldn't count them out. They did some great things today but in the end it was their secondary that hurt them they will figure it out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dolphins fan for life!!! If they don't start playin ball they will finish dead last in the AFC East. I knew they wouldn't match las t=year but damn they should have won this game!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Miami out played Indy, controlled the ball, clock, and game. But the Manning factor kicks in and he does what he does best and thats win. Indy's D has been weak against the run for a while, by the second quarter they looked tired. The last drive Miami was horrible, I was suprised they made it as far as they did, lots of bad mistakes, clock management was pitiful.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
The Wildcat is only good for a few gimmick plays here and there - not something an Offense is formed around. Philadelphia has a good Wildcat scheme. The Saints stoped it Sunday - 5 plays 40 yards. I'll take a conventional passing attack, power run game any day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I disagree, a gimmick is something like a half-back pass that is used to trick offenses and would really only work one or two times every couple games. The dolphins gained 100 yards or so in the wildcat that is more then a gimmick that is a legitimate offensive scheme that can be used to exploit a defenses weakness.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Wildcat is only good for a few gimmick plays here and there - not something an Offense is formed around. Philadelphia has a good Wildcat scheme. The Saints stoped it Sunday - 5 plays 40 yards. I'll take a conventional passing attack, power run game any day.
?? 5 plays for 40 yards? That's 8 yards per play. Any team would take those numbers so that's far from stoping it.

I do agree with you though. It's a different look to keep the defense on their toes. If it was more often then not defenses would make adjustments and it would be shut down. Defenses are just way too fast and athletic for it to succeed on a full time basis. When the defense calls the right play (wildcat) then it will be shut down.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't think the speed of the defence is relevant to the success of the wildcat(they are pros even the o & d lines are fast)and play calling is the chess match of the game.The reason (IMO) that wildcat is no gimmick and the future of offensive football is the match ups.The wildcat gives you a man on man scenario (11 on 11)unless the play called has the running back throwing the ball.Take away the double team(like u have when the QB is under center)the advantage goes to the offense.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Wildcat is just a gimmick to try to stay competitive when you lack talent......Miami has no WR's and a QB with a wet noodle for an arm.

Your not going to win running the wildcat every week.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Wildcat is just a gimmick to try to stay competitive when you lack talent......Miami has no WR's and a QB with a wet noodle for an arm.

Your not going to win running the wildcat every week.
RedHammer - Can you believe it? We agree on something?:biggrin:
The Wildcat is simply a play here and there not a sustainable Offense. You'd have to have a ton of Wildcat type QB's because they'd get injured left and right. Not an efffective way to maintain high priced talent over the length of a season.
I agree with whoever said that it sort of masks a talent deprived Offense.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tebow has no NFL future, maybe a fullback or something

As for the wildcat, you need 2 stud running backs to run it....not a QB that runs a 4.6.....the Wildcat only works because of Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown...

The wildcat is a good way to use 2 running backs if you have them....not a real offense though
You know who ran even slower at the NFL combine?

Anquan Boldin (4.7). Further do you know what Mr. Boldin did before he was a wide reciever? Thats right, QB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts