Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I'm not as good as I should be at maintaining my reels. I paid the price a couple hours ago. I had caught a couple fish, using 6 lb test I had the drag set to give line easily, more so than usual. Little pounders were taking line here and there.

I re-tied and carelessly set my pole and reel on the ground and I started getting a gritty feeling in my reel. I decided I should probably clean it out when I got home. Well I hooked one that had to be at least 5 pounds, and my drag wasn't doing shit! I tried desperately to adjust it but nothing happened, it was stiff. He jumped, looked big, and then broke me off as he hit the water.

So where can I find a step-by-step on how to clean out a Diawa spinning reel and make it good as new? I don't care to do this stuff but really need to start doing a better job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just take it apart top to bottom cleaning as you go, putting the pieces in order. make sure you lube (in all things that matter in life, adequate lube is always at the top of the list and the lack thereof is always the number one cause of failure) everything really well. But, sounds like you broke something. Good luck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think you can get at the drag components by simply taking off the spool. I'm not certain becayse I only use shimano spinning reels and that's where the drag system is in mine. I'm pretty sure diawa drags are similar.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Dont forget to relieve the drag pressure from your reels at the end of the day.Drags work by compressing the drag washers, the more you compress the washers the harder it is for them to slip. By leaving them compressed all the time you are taking away the ability for your reel to have varying drag settings. Over time it will either be on or off and over enough time it will get to where you either have no drag or it will be extremely loose

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Dont forget to relieve the drag pressure from your reels at the end of the day.Drags work by compressing the drag washers, the more you compress the washers the harder it is for them to slip. By leaving them compressed all the time you are taking away the ability for your reel to have varying drag settings. Over time it will either be on or off and over enough time it will get to where you either have no drag or it will be extremely loose
Preach! +1

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pointers guys, and thanks for the link Jerkbait! I took it out this morning after doing a very basic clean and the drag is actually WORKING, but it's far from smooth. I will get down and dirty when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You need to remove the spring clip on the spool and clean all the washers. The drag is completely encompassed in the spool.
Check maunufacturers specs to see if the washers need to be oiled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts