Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back last night from fishing the ABF with Jamie(J-B).Had a great time and good conversation. I learned some different ways to fish,Drop shotting and spooning which I didn't participate in(spooning). I broke my cherry with Jamie as in I caught my first Drop shot fish with him. I caught it on a sand worm(Rootbeer color). We ran pretty close in putting fish in the boat, though he may have caught one or two more than me,I'm not sure. I lost a keeper under the boat and he lost a keeper at the boat. So the Bassgods weren't looking at us yesterday. We made a wrong choice in location,based on later info. But we did what we thought was right based on present conditions,and stuck to our plan. What my question is what length, action and brand of rod do you guys use for drop shotting? Or better yet what is your dream dropshotting setup?
I was using a 6'4 GLX medium spinning rod and noticed that when Jamie was shaking his rod it quivered much more then mine.I'm sure that transferred down the line to the lure. Price is not that important so lets have your Ideas and pros and cons.
Thanks,
Darryl

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I took my drop-shot rig out to the pool and wanted to see the action I get on the bait when I shake the rod tip. I got practically no action on the bait regardless of how much or how fast I shook the rod tip! I shook the top of the line a lot but the bait down below doesn't move. With the d-s weight on the bottom, there is no weight to pull the line down! (The bait's are bouyant for Pete's sake. Add a small hook and they barely sink.) Think of it as trying to push a rope!

IMO drop-shot rods are a marketing gimmick. Make people think there's something magical about drop-shotting and working the bait. Bring out a new product to match that magical thing and sell more rods. Its BS!

I use a 6'6" GL3 Med power fast tip and a Fenwick Techna AV 6' 6" Med power for drop-shotting. I can also use these rods for split-shotting or throwing small Tx rigged worms.

G

·
I echo what Denny has said. The key I've found to drop shotting is maintaining a taught line so you can feel any and all bites. I have both a 6'6" and a 7' St. Croix that offer up great sensitivity and am quite happy with them. I have a Johnny Morris spinning reel on one and a Pinnacle Alyssa 40 on the other - great stuff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What about sensativity? I have a hell of a time detecting a bite dropshotting and am thinking of ditching my current rod and trying something new. Is there anything anyone can reccomend? Currently I use a 7' med action Berkley Pro series lightning rod. Can line make a big difference?

-Dave King

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Dave
Line does make a differnce. I use floroclear and noticed a big difference.
alos the berkely rod you have I also had for my dropshot rod, now its just a back up dropshot rod( I have 4 dropshot rods in the boat). The fenwick one I use came from wallmart for $49.
I talked Mr.Bass into byuing one a few months ago and said if he didnt like it I would buy it from him. as of the last 2 tournys he wont let it go.

its the FenWick venture im6 vs 64m 6'4" 1/4oz-5/8oz lureweight 6-15lb test line

I like the fenwick rod for dropshotting also, alot better than my loomis, however yesterday I dropshotted in 40-60 feet of water and the loomis wasnt to bad, but not near as good as the fenwick. I found the fenwick to be more balanced than the loomis also.
I have the loomis dropshot rod green GL2.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
I ditto on what Dave King and d a spoke of. I like my BPS 6'6" Bionic blade rod with a Spirex 1000fd reel loaded with 6 pound P-line, Flouroclear. I can feel every bump and tick that happens to the bait. I have a 7' GL3 Loomis that I use for splitshotting. The Loomis to me is not as sensitive as my BPS rod. I guess it's matter of feel and confidence. Matt

G

·
This is one thing I have to agree with Denny on, 99% of everything on the market is a gimmick when it comes to fishing, if only he would agree on the RED WINGS I may find him a more jolly person. Darryl you'll get 80 different answers on the d'shot rig. You asked what the dream set up is, go with the big boys and a get a Evola rod only 300.00 bucks at phoenix fishing, or yamamoto's and then get a sustain reel (spooled with sun line) that's only 250.00 including the line, a perfect outfit for a guy that said he has a lot of money to spend. Here's the catch you should buy two if not three of these rods, in case one breaks you may have to wait 6 months for a replacement since they are made in Japan. No, I don't use evola rods, I find the st croix 6'9" to be just as efficient for the little bit of dropshoting I do. They are great rods for d/shoting, splitshoting and and throwing inline spinners on, (I have two) a great all around combo 1/8 to 1/2 ounce and only a 150.00. And yes I only use sustain reels which I believe are the best for the buck with very little if any line twist, and floroclear line is as good as it gets. If Dewl would agree with me on this, then lone ranger may go buy ten of these dream set ups and make somebody rich. Merry xmas too all. Only kidding l/ranger.

2Dogs

G

·
Drop shot

Thanks for the info. If you were to go with the Evola sticks which sizes would you get? which model reel would you get? Which of the two stores that you named has the best price? Do they carry these rods in stock??? And last but not least why doesn't the store honor the warranty? What is the warranty?
Thanks,
Darryl
P.S. Me alot of money to spend..... NOT !!!!! I said if price isn't that important. My wife and I generally work 7 days a week 6:00 am -7:00pm. So sometimes we have some extra money.Hell I put a used Globalmap 2000 on my gambler. If the product is good and cheaper Hell yes I'll buy it,if my wife says I can.... I wear the pants in this family when she lets me.

G

·
It's a 6'9" same as the st croix, don't think you'll be able to wheel and deal on one of those rods, unless you know someone extremely well.

2dogs

G

·
Drop shot stick

Thanks for the info. I don't know anybody to deal with on anything much less a rod. Can you recommend a model on the sustain reel????
Thanks Again,
Darryl

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Are you kidding me? Denny doesn't like the Red Wings? Whats this board coming to? :lol:
Congrats on the boat 2Dogs!

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
2dogs? You got me all wrong. I actually like the Red Wings. They're my favorite. Check 'em out at the:

RED WING SITE <---Click there!

·
Registered
404 Posts
sad

D A I thought you may actually like the real red wing, the hockey team. Should I have doubts about you now go wings!!!

G

·
Denny

That's not nice, been wondering what to do with that extra wing decal, I think it's red I know of a nice ranger it would match.

2Dogs

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Dropshotting is actually that, dropping it, tryit sometime. lift up on the line until the weight almost lifts then let it go slack an inch or so then tighten it. a slow bounce, bounce, bounce. most people use a fast shaking motion that does nothing.

for a rod use a 6 foot 6 to a 7 foot extra fast action rod that is very sensative. Evolas are over rated, Loomis guides are set too close to the reel and cut distance and the #1 guide is too small, size15. it should be a 25. I make my own.

for the reel use a good one. try the bass pro shops Johnny Morris # 20 spinning reel, 10 bearings and smoooooooth.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes and no.

I went from a BPS extreme rod, 7ft med action which I had no problems with at all, to a 6,9" St Croix Avid, absolutely awesome. I've fished with my dad's Loomis IMX, nice rod but I'll take my Avid, and so does he when he can. I use the 6lb P-line XXXstrong, sensitive, strong, and a little reel magic kills the memory. The key to dropshotting is learning the pressure bite. I don't care if you fish with an Ugly Stick or an evola rod, if you don't know how to interpret the pressure bite it won't matter how much your set up costs. I highly recommend the St Croix Avid rod and the shimano Stradic reel, if you can't catch fish on that set up then it's not the equipment. A difference of $100-$200 dollars in the higher end of rods and reels will not make or break you, get a quality set up and learn the rig, one of those K.I.S.S solutions. Good Luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
yamamoto d-shotter; okuma inspira 2000; p-line FLOUROCARBON 6-8lb.; gami hooks, mojo weights. gear does make a total differnce but it's a personal preference! i'm still learning after 2 + yrs. but having gear like this is totally the catalyst!

G

·
Bait Breath Evola 6'10 drop shot spinning rod; shimano sustain 2500; sugoi fluoro line (5-6lb.); nogales and gamakatsu hooks; kanji and yamamoto d-shot weights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts