Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting back into the game. I have 2 questions: What is a drop shot? 2. How do I rig one?

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
tie a small hook about a foot up your line. then put a weight on the bottom of your tag line. nose hook a finnesse worm on the hook. drop the rig down and keeping the weight on the bottom shake the worm. you can also cast it out and slowly work it back to the boat..try a #1 gamagatzu drop shot hook with a 1/8 drop weight on 6-8 lb test..you can also purchase aaron martins drop shot tape at fishermans choice or waterdog willys...good luck

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
tie a small hook about a foot up your line. then put a weight on the bottom of your tag line. nose hook a finnesse worm on the hook. drop the rig down and keeping the weight on the bottom shake the worm. you can also cast it out and slowly work it back to the boat..try a #1 gamagatzu drop shot hook with a 1/8 drop weight on 6-8 lb test..you can also purchase aaron martins drop shot tape at fishermans choice or waterdog willys...good luck

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
The video will help you out....also run a search...Learn the %$%$ing palomar knot too...I hate it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The drop shot (d-shot) is a very versatile way to fish plastics - big and small. Basically you tie s hook on your line with a Palomar knot and leave the desired length of tag line. On the end of the tag line, you attach your weight and when it pulls your line tight, the hook should stand out perpendicular to the line (making it stick straight out),

I believe the origins of the d-shot were when bass fishermen were trying to find a new way to fish finesse baits in holes that were holding bass or tight to structure. You would basically fish directly below your boat and jig, twitch or dead stick your bait.

BUT... you can do ALMOST anything with a drop shot. Using a drop shot, I've caught fish in boils, I've caught fish directly below me, I've caught fish flipping into brush, I caught fish worming the d-shot like a Carolina rig and I've caught fish on a d-shot accidentally. :oops: :roll:

The basic ideal is to use a small drop shot hook, a bait about 4" long and a small weight on the end of a tag line that's about 4 to 12 inches long. However, I use #2 to 1/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gap hooks and I'll use baits from 3" to 7" long. I typically don't use more than 12" of tag line and I like using a brass bullet sinker with one or two glass beads below it (pegged to stop the brass) for a little added clack. Some people talk about using very light line while others will beef it up with 20lb test and fish it in very heavy cover with big baits. It's really a very versatile rig.

I'm not the D-shot God or pro, but I like using it a lot. Just start off with the basic d-shot and take it from there. Find what works best with your style and what you like doing with it. Here's a link for some info and book mark the home page of this site, it's a helpful link.

http://www.bassresource.com/features/worm_rigs.html

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
jasonR said:
The video will help you out....also run a search...Learn the %$%$ing palomar knot too...I hate it.
Jason, The palomar is a great knot! I use it for everything now. ...although sometimes it's hard tying it onto a big crank bait. :roll: :wink:

But seriously, it's supposed to be one of the strongest knots out there. I've also heard that there is a "SD" knot that's just as strong but it's not supposed to break where the Palomar can???

Anyone know more about the "SD" knot :?:

·
Registered
38 Posts
the polamor knot!!!!!!

i also use the polamor not for everytime of fishing i have caught marlin in Mexico on this not its the best knot there is in my opinon

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
The SD knot came outta San Diego, the offshore guys came up with it. Thats all I know. i just suck at tying the Palomar! :cry:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the info! I know where I'm heading after work!!!
( The Tackle Store ) I'll be at Sagauro Friday and Saterday in a Red Skeeter Sk2000 trying this newly learned technique.

Rob

·
Registered
211 Posts
when drop shoting very important to have a good sharp hook and a very sensitive rod with a light action I use one of the new rogue rods have tried many but this one is the best by far. very sensitive. and i like using wave worms the little tiki drops very effective and very good cent. but every one is different on what they like. so have fun dropshoting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts