Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys spend the money on dropshot weights or make your own rig? What size weight do you normally use for 6 or 8# line?
Just curious if there's something "magical" about the expensive weights that don't get stuck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
there is nothing magical about the over the counter weights. When I first started drop-shotting, I bought the cheap weights at Wal-mart, but only about 1 out of 10 would actually slide onto the line without cutting it. My buddy uses the more expensive Wal-mart brand and they seem to work better (less cutting), but they are ridiculously expensive. I now buy all mine from a guy in my club and they are cheap (5 for a dollar) and they have never cut my line.

CarpHeyDiem

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was getting ready to post a new topic on this subject. I saw these Mojo weights advertised in the latest Bassmaster(no nasty comments).

http://www.mojolures.com/info_dropshot.asp

The weirdest thing is I was thinking of how to come up with something similar. Buy the rigs and be able to cheaper weights as replacements. You could also use brass(from Delmart) or steel if you wanted. Don't know whether not having a swivel will cause more line twist. Also will the wire bend sooner than unclipping from the line. I'm going to look into them more next week.

SteveM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cheapest way is to pour your own, you will have to get swivels and a mold from do-it molds, you can use lead shot(for shot guns for lead).

We make brass dropshot weights and use do-it swivels(do-it swivels are the best and most expensive)

or you can buy them from the stores in lead tungsten or brass(waterdog willy's carries some of ours).

you can use bell sinkers or any other sinker for that matter.

Delw

Delw

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If the the bite is real light I prefer the tungston weights because i can feel, almost hear, the click clic as it moves acros s the bottom and I think its worth the money otherwise I probably wouldn't have spent what I did for the rod. On more agressive bites i might uses lead as it is a little cheaper. Steel and brass seem to work ok, I switch if I lost to much tungston.
6#Pline. My eye sight is getting worse and it is realy tough to thread 8# through the eye of a no.4 hook 3 times.
Hope it helps. ...Pete

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm still partial to the 1/4 oz. bell sinkers. They're $1.00 a pack and I don't get line twist. It's an extra knot but you don't lose the weight if you snag (usually). I stay away from tungsten and brass because the lead makes it easier for me to detect a fish and not a rock tap or weed. A lot of the dropshot fish we've caught lately have been nothing more than one tiny "tick." The lead lets you know the tick is a fish. I would use tungsten or brass if I was fishing vertically and deeper though, in places where there wasn't much structure. Del makes lead weights too, and I think they have the built-in swivel?

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I use 3/16 almost always or 1/8 depending on the weeds. I use the expensive kind atleast I think they are. BPS weights and I get 13 for $3.00. I probably loose 2-3 weights at the most a trip(Saguaro). So they last a little while :D I think that it's all "your style" on what kind and shape. I perfer the slinder weights cause in theory they should go thru weeds and things easier? I do enjoy fishing with Delws weights though. I actually fished Canyon with his weights only and I believe that I caught the same amout of fish then with the other ones. (same=same) WOW!!!!!!!TGIF 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Anyways, be different, get an idea or type of weight. It's on the end of your line not mine or anyone elses you'll find that the more you fish the Dropshot the more creative you'll become. Please dont think I'm picking on you or anything but I truely believe that I fish a similar pattern(with weights and total set-up) but my retrival(sp?) is always different. When I take people out with me I feel like they are always watching and I think ALL the time "what am I doing?" whats my action with the bait, how far am I taking the weight off the bottom, am I dragging ect......... Crazy but do it your way! chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts