Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have connections with Civil Engineering jobs? I was let go in the beginning of summer from internship and now that I have graduated with an E.I.T. and I'm finding it very difficult to find work. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Move to Texas. Your just starting your career and thats the only place that has steady work right now. The sad fact is that there are a lot of engineers with more expierence that you have that are waiting to get thier jobs back. This market isnt turning around in Arizona, Nevada, or California anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Good Luck.

My son graduated with his BS in Mechanical Engineering in May and has not been able to find a job either.

SteveM

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Damn that makes me worry...
I'll be graduating in 3 or 4 years with a BS in material science engineering, do you guys know how hard it would be to get an MSE job?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Joey,
You will probably be just fine if you stay in school for the next 3-4 years. Just keep binge drinking, playing video games, and jerking off to the girl in that avatar and you will be just fine. Goddamn I wish I was still in college........

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Joey,
You will probably be just fine if you stay in school for the next 3-4 years. Just keep binge drinking, playing video games, and jerking off to the girl in that avatar and you will be just fine. Goddamn I wish I was still in college........
:biggrin: Will do!!! Don't forget about the fishing part of the whole equation!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If you did not get recruited out of school you might consider,if you haven't already, a headhunter group to put your name out there. Remember there are many engineers taking positions out of their fields to start. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
AZ just isn't the place to be looking for any type of job right now. For engineering there are very few out their unless you are a systems/software guy. For most cival engineering positions they prefer you to have a PE, but to get your PE you need a mentor which usually (unfortunately) means you need a job or internship.

Lugnuts said it right, there are a TON of people, engineers included, that are looking for work right now. The one thing new grads have going for them is you are the cheapest labor right now, but some who are more experienced are starting to accept the low-ball offers.

Best advice you can get is if you can't find a job right now, go back to school and get your MS or PhD, which will make you more competitive amongst the other job seekers.

The only downer about the MS or PhD in the engineering field are the old sayings...

BS = bullshit
MS = more shit
PhD = piled higher and deeper

These are all very very true in this field.

The military option is real and probably has the absolute best retirement plan you can get in today's economy if you do 20yrs with a branch. They are always looking for degreed engineers too. One of my regrets is not being a lifer in the military especially with how retirement, medical, & employment works out in the civilian world after the age of 50-55 or so.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I am considering Texas and have applied to a few, but they dont want to interview out of town candidates. So how do I find out more about a career with the military? Are you guys talking about the Army corps of engineers?

The only downer about the MS or PhD in the engineering field are the old sayings...

BS = bullshit
MS = more shit
PhD = piled higher and deeper

These are all very very true in this field.
ROFL!

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
They all can use engineering people

Army navy airforce marines national guard even the coast guard. the training you would get in the military would be honored at any work place,
you said you were young, stay in for 4-6 years and get all you can get out of it, Life is how you make it. so start it off correctly

Look at it this way, you will have a guarenteed job for the next 4-6 years.
just having schooling for engineering and then going into the military opens up so many possibilities in anything, from computer shit to nasa. not ot mention anythign in manufacturing, road type work ie freeways and such, buildings etc etc.
Ask Lone ranger about engineering I believe he worked for pratt and whitney designing the f-16

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts