Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that the weighins for Fri/Sat will be at the WalMart on 83rd&UnionHills. Isn't illegal to transport live fish from the lake? What did they have to do to get permission for this? Special permit? Just Curious.

SteveM

G

·
Supposedly Everstart has worked something out with AZGFD so they won't be in violation. It my understanding AZGFD will be overseeing the weighin rather closely.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
I personally think its bs to make it ok for some tourny, but yet not for someone trying to release a live big fish that just needs a scale.

Granted the fish will be properly cared for by this tourny.

Game and fish really should rethink there stance here. its ok for this group of people but not ok for that group. playing the 2 sided coin really isnt right.

Definately going to bring this up at the next round table meeting.

Delw

G

·
The Lake Havasu Bass Club is bringing its release boat down to use. That is why they are able to have the weighins away from the lake. FLW called them up and told them that the only way they were allowed to have the weighin away from the lake is if they had a release boat sitting there in the parking lot.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I'm with DelW on this one. Also, it's like the poster upset about getting a ticket for parking an untrailered vehicle in the trailer lot at Canyon Lake. Rules are rules - laws are laws. No special favors ought to be excepted. Big business $$$ rules, however. It's all about marketing in the case of this tournament.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Justin

those bass still are going to be transport to walmart in the boats in which they were caught. which sucks cause most will leak on the way to the weigh-in, what happens when the water runs out? BAD BAD move

200+ boats driving to walmart with fish in the livewell, what the hell was game and fish thinking.

The release boat will be for the ride back I assume.

Wanna bet on a fish kill?

Delw

·
Registered
69 Posts
MY OPINION
as long as you have money you can always get a politician to do things for you even if it means bending the law im sure that somebody got a bonus for this
As for game & fish shame one you guys you need to protect our wildlife and if this is the way youplan to do it G&F can go to hell they need to do their jobs that means everyone is equal. i care about our wildlife and YES fish are wildlife.
my opinion
ps i hope the death rate will be low this is wrong

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Laws are made to be broken, amended and to get a waiver. Flw got a waiver or an exception to this law. Amen for them going thru the leagl channels and getting it. Might be big business again, but the other side of the coin is this tournament will put a lot of dollars into the phoenix based economy, ie gas, food, lodging, and entertainment. Both sides win. No doubt there may be a fish kill anymore then a nomal tournament this size--unkown yet. I believe there will be increased caution on all fisherman due to losing points for dead fish.

The field will be narrowed down by fri/sat so there won't be as many fish transported to the weight in. These will be the top contenders and I don't think they can afford to trasport there fish in inoperative live wells. Ounces can make the difference in winning this event. I think this is a great idea and gives a lot of adults/kids the opportunity to view a tournament weigh-in of this magnitude.

I say, give this a chance then if it doesn't work out, then you'll can slam game an fish.

2Dogs

G

·
weigh-in

Actually, the Game and Fish will be doing a study on survival rates of tournament released fish. They will be on site to look at the fish, and assess their health.

G

·
weigh-in

I forgot to add that there will only be 20 boats transporting fish......not 200 delw. Not as big a deal as you would exagerate it to be.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Unreg.....
I didnt exagerate it. someone posted that the weigh-in would be held at walmart. I just re read it and saw its the final 2 days weigh-in.... so yeah its 20 boats and not 200.

It still doesnt change my mind its still bs.... Next you will see bill luke holding there weigh-ins at the car dealerships.

2dogs.. the idea is great for a weigh-in but so many of our lakes are very far from town. at least its not 100º outside.
Game and fish really has to get thier priorities straight, cause if casner highered a lawyer he might be able to win and get tha bigfish into the record books.

Delw

G

·
I never seen a dead fish weighed in at the flw or bastermasters televised event. They are held at some of the larger arenas located away from the lakes. Won't say it won't happen here because anything is possible.

Forgot to add before, there will be alot of good looking babes in town this weekend due to the golf tourney. Who knoes they may want to see a fishermen with a stiff rod versus a golfer with a broken putter.

2dogs

G

·
I personally don't have a problem with this because i have seen it work. Arizona is one of the few states that don't allow you to transport fish. FlW and BASS have been doing this for years and i can guarantee you that all the necessary precautions will be taken because if FLW doesn't it is there name that becomes mud and they don't want that. I also know what steps FLW takes to make sure the fish survive. I know this from fishing the BFL All-American in Mobile Alabama when it was there. Granid all the boats were brand new, but the precautions were still taken. As soon as the boat got pulled out of the water there were people there making sure the livewells were sealed tight, that the aerator pumps were on and that the livewells were as full as they could get. It was 15 to 30 minutes to the weighin back there.

They are doing the weighin at the walmart on 83d and union hills. If the bass boat leakes that much water between the lake and the weighin then the guy needs a new livewell system. Neither FLW or game and fish are going to allow a boat to leave the lake with water leaking that much anyways. Look at it this way. Its a half hour drive from the lake to the walmart. those fish have been riding around in a boat all day long already another half hour is not going to kill them and if it does then chances are the fish was not going to make it anyways. I can't tell you how many times i have seen people at tournaments put there fish in the weigh bag with very little water and then take there time walking up to the weighin line talking to there buddies along the way. That is worse than leaving the fish in an aerated livewell while they ride to walmart.

Like another guy said. Give it a chance before you start bashing people. Everyone keeps saying how they want this sport to grow and how they want it bigger and better but thats not going to happen having weighins at the lake where the general public does not even know there is a tournament going on. This way it is at the walmart where you have all these shoppers going in and out and see this weighin going on. You guys keep talking about the fish kill that is going to take place. I think everyone that says that needs to step back and think about all the fish that are sitting on peoples walls at home from when lake pleasant was known as a big bass lake. I would be willing to bet that some of you even have some of those fish up on your walls.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Justin. I agree thats its pretty cool thing to do for a tourny. And I am sure they take all the precautions they can.

What I am dissapointed in is AZG&F for letting them do it when they have laws against such a thing. Game and fished basically slapped Ron Casners hand for him doing what he thought was right and in many peoples opinions it was right. However game and fish has the rule and it states.

Delw

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.