Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going fishing in the Verde River South of Camp Verde near Strawberry and the Hot Springs.

I have heard that there are Catfish, Bass, and Northern Pike in the river. Anyone fish in it? What do I use to catch Pike? Any trout in the river?

G

·
There are no Northern Pike in the Verde River; however, there are Colorado pikeminnow (aka Squawfish), Ptychocheilus lucius. The name lucius means "pike-like". Pikeminnow are highly piscivorous meaning their diet consists primarily of fish. I'd suggest using in-line spinners such as Mepps or something similar to represent a small bait fish. Pikeminnow are also classified as an endangered species, so please return them quickly to the water.

Good luck and have a great trip!

G

·
what to use

Yes there are bass and catfish in the Verde. For the bass I'd suggest in-line spinners, small spinnerbaits, and crayfish colored crankbaits. For the catfish, I've always done well with chicken livers. I've never actually fished the Verde so hopefully someone else on this board can provide you with more and better details about what they've had success using.

Good luck

·
Registered
815 Posts
Last summer i went to the verde near Cotten Wood, caught about ten bass, some on inline spinners, and some on a rapala popper. I even caught a pikeminnow, that was exciting. Did you know that before pikeminnows were endangerd that they sometimes reached five feet in length, thats big!

·
Registered
512 Posts
HEY KGOINGS I FISHED THE VERDE RIVER A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO WHEN I LIVED IN PRESCOTT VALLEY, RIVER WAS REALL MUDDY AT THAT TIME, I THRU A HUSKY JERK #8, AND MY BUDDY WAS THROWING A BLAKEMORE ROADRUNNER CHARTRUSE WE BOTH CAUGHT FISH, SO GIVE IT A SHOT :lol:
  • I'D RATHER BE FISHING

1 - 7 of 7 Posts