Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

fishing line selection

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  fsh2win 
G
#1 ·
I have been searching through my new BPS catolog and have been very interested in some new lines that came out! I am so confused as to which one to get wether to stick with mono or go with braided lines flourocarbon or one of these hybrid lines. My baitcast is in need for a respooling so what line would you recomend a kid like me to spend his hard earned cash on?
Thanks,
Taylor :D

#3 ·
Taylor, you'll get some good, but diverse information on your question. I've been trying 10 and 15 lb. P-Line Floroclear fluorocarbon coated line on my baitcasting reels for about 5 months now and I really like it. Some have posted that some of the other P-Lines have a lot of memory, but the Floroclear is pretty good on that issue. Joe Owens recommends spraying the line on the reels with Berkley Reel Magic to reduce memory on lines, especially on spinning reels. I use the same brand 6 and 8 lb. line on my spinning reels. Just my 2¢. 8)

#5 ·
I assume you're throwing reaction stuff with the baitcaster??? I can't find any reason not to stick with my MagnaFlex in the smoke/green (they also make a clear). It's relatively thin diameter and very strong. If you order fom BPS get a 750 yard spool. Every several weeks or month I tie on new line that is a little over a casts length. This way you always have pretty fresh line without using an entire reels worth of it. This is the best way to take care of memory problems (I've found). MagnaFlex has been pretty good (memory-wise) on a baitcaster, anyway. Good luck, Taylor.
What does your boat look like?

#6 ·
For my 2 cents I use to just use the BPS Excel monoline which is great stuff for the $$ I have never had any problem with line breakage or memory untill you get into the rope stuff (17lb to 22lb test). I did just buy some P-line Flourocarbon and really like the no memory and the sensitivity of the stuff. Like I said you cant beat the BPS Excel line for the $$.

#10 ·
I like the p-line floroclear. I use it for everything now 12lb test max.

I use 4 and 6lb for dropshotting
and 10and 12 lb for blades, ricos, flippen etc.

I use the line alot and get no memory.
I havent spooled up since OCT(except dropshot reel). and the stuff is like it was just put on.

My dropshot reel I had to spool up due to I ran out of line and was fishing monetery with only 20 yards in it

I do not spray any crap on any like for a few reasons
I dont want it to collect dirt into my reels if and when it gets gummy.
it seems like the more you use it the more your line gets messed up.
I have never had a need for it,
Use good lines and you wont need it.

In the summer when fishing under black lights I us trilene xl floresant. to me its 10x better than any floresant out there. I dont have to respool up every 2-3 weeks due to memory. I think I only spooled up at the begining of the summer and in aug.
I also dont go over 12lb test

Delw

#12 ·
braid

Im a fan of braided line, mono just stinks in my view and I am talking about the fishing line not the kissing stuff. No memory, if you get hung up you can pull your boat to the hang up doesnt break. I like the Fusion Spiderwire, and Whiplash the most. Stronger thinner line than mono.

#15 ·
i use p-line floro clear for reaction baits..for jigs and worms i use yamamoto sugoi.for dropshottin i use berkly vanish...i like flouricarbon line because it has less stretch.low visiability,more sencitive fishing deep water and you dont have to reel spool as often..i do use mono trilene xt for spooning..

#16 ·
Champ, Berkley calls it Vanish because that's what happens to the fish I hook on it. I've broke off more fish on Vanish than any other line. Try the Fluorclear P-line for d-shotting before Vanish costs you a check in a tourney.

#19 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the info guys! I am going to definatly be trying some p-line from what i have been hearing about this stuff. Bayou
I fish in a older MonArk aluminum 16 foot bass boat mainly on canyon. The boat is tan and has new carpet and seats and pretty much everything is re-done, the interier is gray carpet and grey/blue seats with a Chrystler 45 engine! I will be the 15 year old on the boat and hope to start meeting some of you out on the water! I may be going out on sunday morning to Canyon so keep your eyes open for me if you are out there! Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.