Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i live in tucson and as you can imagine there are not too many options to fish here. you got only our sad excuse for urban ponds, nogales itself, a waterless pit and arivaca. now i want to try to fish the canals in phoenix but i do not know where. is there areas to park or how does this work. is it even legal? should i spend my time there or just drive a little further and fish the salt?

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I were going to drive to hours to fish it wouldn't be to fish in a canal. You got patigonia same amount of time away as arivaca. You got Parker canyon about 2 hours away. Roosevelt is only a couple hours away as is san Carlos. Then you got all the pheonix area lakes on the salt river system. Why waste your time in a canal. Not that there is not nice fish in the canals I used to fish the one off Chandler blvd and cooper when I lived there but I wouldn't drive two hours to do it.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to drive here to fish the canals also, but to each his own.
I use to live near a canal growing up. The canal between 7th st. and 12th st. off of Northern holds nice fish. Those huge trees roots in that area make great structure for the fish in the canal. Watch out for Peta Pricks. There are a lot of rich eccentric assholes in that area that are animal crazy. If they see you catch a fish watch out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
canal is perfectly legal. not really worth a damn unless you want catfish and carp though. if anyone has anything to say tell them to go ahead and call the cops, 100% legal. all SRP will ever ask of you is dont park you vehicle on the canal. i use to sit on the overpass' all the rime with fold out chairs and cops would come by and ask how we were doing, even in the biltmore area. best luck i have ever had was actually sitting on the gates and casting way out with alot of weight. SRP doesnt care about you being on the gates. been there 1000 times when they have rolled up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to drive here to fish the canals also, but to each his own.
I use to live near a canal growing up. The canal between 7th st. and 12th st. off of Northern holds nice fish. Those huge trees roots in that area make great structure for the fish in the canal. Watch out for Peta Pricks. There are a lot of rich eccentric assholes in that area that are animal crazy. If they see you catch a fish watch out.
I used to fish there too, but never had a run in with a peta prick. Had any recently?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I used to fish there too, but never had a run in with a peta prick. Had any recently?
I haven't fished there in a few years. I just don't live around there anymore. It was convenient to walk down your alley and go fishing for a few hours when ever you wanted. I use to catch a lot of LM in that area. I haven't had any peta encounters because I don't fish there anymore. Peta people are out there though. I had one bitch threaten to bring back her boyfriend, if I didn't stop fishing. That is after I caught a fish and threw it back into the water right in front of her. I guess she didn't like that.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
epic bump. I live right along the "tempe canal" off of dobson and university... legal to fish there? worth my time?
All of the canals except the SRP are legal to fish. Lots of carp, some cats, bass and talapia (anything that lives in the salt / verde essentially). Some people have done okay from some old posts I remember reading.

·
Registered
373 Posts
thanks bigfrog...

so looks like Ill be using finesse plastics and some dough balls today. As far as crawfish goes, other than putting it on a hook how else should I rig it up? T-rig? weightless? split shot?

for the doughball just splitshot rig it like a trout rig and watch my rod?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't speak to canal fishing specifically, but I mainly use softbait craws as jig trailers, they seem to do pretty well for that. The real answer to the "best" way to do it though is to experiment, figure out what's working well in the spot you're at, and the day you're fishing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
cool. Will try a bunch of different methods today. there were some good sized what looked like trout in the canals behind papago yesterday. Had nothing but crankbaits and t-rigs avaliable though.

Might try a craw on a split shot and some t-rigs today along with the doughball setup like a trout rig.. Have some dough and garlic getting funky on my patio as we speak.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
All of the canals except the SRP are legal to fish. Lots of carp, some cats, bass and talapia (anything that lives in the salt / verde essentially). Some people have done okay from some old posts I remember reading.
All the canals are SRP!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldn't make a trip up to Phx just to fish canals. I used to live near 28th st & Baseline and used to fish the canal there. The canal bass tend to be really small ... the largest one I ever caught was a pound and a half. I had the best luck at the gates and around the bridges. There's an entrance to the Raven Golf course off of Baseline where you can park and fish. No one ever bothered me there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
skunked AGAIN. Literally counted 20+ carp/white amur. didnt like bread, didnt like powerbait, didnt like wet dog food, didnt like an in line spinner, didnt like plastics. SCREW THESE FISH IM OUT!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts