Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know if i am the only flychucker on this site
i like to bass fish with flies does anyone else here do this and if not why? i enjoy it i hhave been doing this for 25 years and have done pretty well at it. yes i do trout fish too. last time i was up at apache i did real well on smallies got some lmb too. just wanted to know if i was realy that odd my buddies think so by the way i tie my own flies.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hey Franklin! This was before your time..... :lol: but last year I took Lady Angler out on our bass boat. She is a flyfisherman! Let me tell you, for one, it was my first time taking the boat on my own, and for two.....she ended the trip with 2 bass and I with zero! It was quite the site though to see her graceful moves with that flyrod! It was last February at Saguaro. Always have wanted to give that a shot but I'm not too coordinated.

Bassnaz.....check out their reports...http://www.desertflycasters.com/reports/index.php

Here is a link for Desert Flycasters (of which she is the President!) http://www.desertflycasters.com/

·
Registered
539 Posts
flyfish

FranklinJ - with a full sinking line (it just takes awhile).

Bassnaz4me - your not the only flyfisherman on the site. I'm a bona fide trout bum. Although John Geirach who wrote that book says you have to be over 30 to qualify (I'm not). I fished for bass quite a bit growing up, but when I moved out here a year ago all I brought was my flyfishing stuff. I went to grad school in Wyoming and flyfished 3-4 times a week (one spring/summer I fished everyday for almost 3 months straight). It was incredible. Since moving to AZ I've gotten into the bassing thing (including tmx). I still cringe at the thought of paying a couple hundred bucks for a bass rod even though I've got fly rods worth many times that.

Your report about Apache has really got me thinking. Actually, I fished a tmx there last summer and afterwards I got to thinking how well a certain fly might have worked on those smallmouth. Do you think they'd run me off if I whipped out a 9 ft fly rod this weekend at the Top 10 federation tmx?

Carpio

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
BAss,
when I first moved here 20+ years ago I came from washington state, all I did was fly fish, when I got a boat I used to do it about 2-3 times a year for bass, never caught smallies in this state on a fly rod but in washington we used to catch them by the hundreds on the columbia river.

Pleasant is an excellent place to fly fish for bass. I would love to hook a big striper on a flyrod...

I havent been for 2 years now. should try it again soon though.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Same way every one of you guys do all year around.... drop shot drop shot drop shot drop shot oh wait spoon spoon spoon spoon . Darn fished moved shallow :wink: :wink: drop shot drop shot drop shot . hey what are those guys doing? What did you say???? CASTING !!!!!! HUH !!!!!!! whats that??????? read about it in a mag once must be a new way. Hey !!!!! what are you guys over there useing ?????? Luckycraft !!! HUH !! whats that a new drop shot lure?? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :D :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Bassnaz4me. i flyfish for for bass and trout all the time. mainly fish apache out of a tube for smallies. a smallmouth on a flyrod is an absolute riot! :D i just love fishing for bass with a fly rod but it can definately be tough sometimes. i roll my own as well and catching a nice smallie on a fly you tied is an even bigger riot! tight lines

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Carpio, before youwhip out your fly rod at a bass tournament, check their rules. Many tourneys limit the length of the rod to 8 feet just to prevent you guys from embarrassing bass fishermen. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
franklin you have to take a backup rod
caprio i have a couple 8 ft you can try or even a 7ft but however you do lose distance with a shorter rod but for lmb i prefer to use a 10 weight
at apache i was useing a craw patern with sinking line just draged it though whatever i could but warning take alot as you will get snagged up even if you cover the hook
my personal favorite has got to be frog pat.. on lillies of course you better go with a good tipit
now my favorite lake for this is arivaca dont know why exactly but the bass just love it i have never drove away skunked there with a fly rod but when i didnt take a fly rod only once i didnt catch that day
however im glad im not the only one out there now i tell my buddies that give me a hard time to get a flyrod but i do that anyway big thanks :lol:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I flyfish for trout and occasionally for bass. I have lost one of my biggest bass ever on the flyrod, that was enough proof for me that flies work for bass. I tie my own flies and even sometimes tie for AZ FlyFishing and other stores. You can go inside AZFF and see the pictures of MONSTER smallmouths and large mouth caught flyfishing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
flyfishing

thanks for the offer bassnaz4me. I've got plenty of rods, I was just kidding about using one in the tmx. Maybe I should have used one though, I couldn't have done much worse. The fishing was brutal. Almost half the field blanked on day 1 and probably just as many on day 2.

·
Registered
281 Posts
all i had for along time was a float tube to get around the lakes.so i did the combo trout and bass fish all on fly rod most of the time.
anyone who has not caught a bass on a fly rod is missing out its a lot of fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.