Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you get the gas charged compartment lid holders for rod locker and tackle box lids??? Those shock absorber like things... I need 3 replaced on my boat.

The ones at the auto parts shops are suposed to be high pressure (for heavier lids) and I heard that they will break the compartment lids and or the fiberglass frame of the compartments on boats.

The last time I was out, (Dec 13th) I had a compartment lid fall shut and one close and it took the tip off of a 2 month old St Croix. ...I'm still in mourning. :cry:

·
Registered
517 Posts
RackMan

I just bought one last week....I went to Autozone and all the ones they had were too powerfull...The super high pressure ones will rip the lid right off the hinges. I went to Complete Marine and matched the one I had...I had to pick it up at the warehouse though. The one I replaced for the small tackle compartment on the front deck...it had like 20 lbs. of pressure.....The Rod Locker ones I think are 30......Make sure you bring your old one and match the length exactly as well.

Dan

Oh yea...The official name is "Gas Spring"

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I saw a guy at Tempe Marine trying to match one up, as well. I think they may have them there. You ought to call first.
Ray, whenever you plan your next trip up here let me know. Perhaps I can get what you need, bring it to the lake, and you pay me back (including a surcharge!) :wink:

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I saw some on display at Martin Marine recently. They are located on Broadway, west of Country Club, in Mesa. They seem to have many parts not stocked elsewhere in the Valley. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
762 Posts
West Marine has the gas charged struts your talking about. One of the numbers in the part number tells you the closing pressure. I replaced the ones on my boat with one step higher closing pressures and have had no problems.

The ones at Autozone tend to be much higher closing pressures.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. GAS SPRINGS!!! I knew that but forgot it some how.

Bill, I might have to take you up on that offer. In fact, I was in Phoenix today and swung by Tempe Marine! I saw some real nice gas spring kits (boat, trailer, gas springs and all...) Mmmmmmmm.. Nice boats there... They just got in a 198 today and they were preping it because they are going to demo it at the lake this weekend.... I'll let you know what type and when I'll be up there again if I don't find any around here. ...or just get the "complete kit" :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.