Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is an age old question, but can someone please tell me what is the better choice, gel cell battery or standard type. This is for my trolling motor. Money could be an issue as circle K doesn't pay alot, and my wife is pregnant and the double wide needs a new awning. Thanks wolfer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had 3 gel batteries in the boat when I bought it. it also had an automatic charger. The gel batteries were the small ones but they had lots of power that seemed to last for a long time (real long for the size they were). I started having problems with the batteries loosing power pretty fast. so I put regular group 27 batteries in it. same problem after the first 3 days.

Found out that the battery charger was bad on one bank.

SO the gels were probally good. I still have them.

Delw

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I have two gel type batteries for the trolling motor that I am trying out. They were double the cost of a lead-acid group 27 deep cycle battery (about $163 each versus about $80 each). They are about 15 lbs. apiece lighter than the lead-acid batteries and they are about 25% smaller in size (more like group 24 size). I think they have something like 30-40% more capacity than the lead-acids. They require no water and would operate if under water or upside down. They have a 18 month free replacement. One cell was not charging to 100% so I brought it back to Checkers and they replaced both batteries for free. I have 9 months of free replacement now on the 2nd set. They never seem to run down and so far I like them. I need to have them for 2 years or more before I pass final judgement. My batteries are Exide Select Orbital Deep Cycle Marine batteries.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had three Gel batterys in my boat when new none lasted a year replaced under wrnty. still did not last a year. replaced with Stowaway and I get at least three years out of them and there a lot cheaper

Jigmaker

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
JIgmaker, I may follow in your footsteps. If my gel batteries only make 9 months or so, it won't be worth spending $163 each.
I'll continue to go with free replacement until I run out of free replacement time. Where do you find Stowaway batteries?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I have a Kirland brand group 27 marine cold cranking battery from Costco for the engine battery. I have to check the water and add water about once a month. That battery is about 16 months old so far. Since Costco doesn't make batteries, I don't know who really makes the Kirland brand batteries for Costco.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts