Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been checking in here pretty regularly for a few months now and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm 19 years old and I want to get started fishing some tournaments. I have access to a boat so that is not a problem. I was just seeing what advice you guys have on what tournaments to fish, etc. I am very familiar with Saugaro and Bartlett so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Start with a club

Club fishing is a great way to start out. There are a lot of good clubs out there with a lot of guys willing to help out. I have belonged to the Saguaro Bassmasters for the last 2 years and have definitely enjoyed every minute. We fish 2 day tournaments once a month on a variety of lakes, Roosy, Saguaro, Canyon, Bartlett, Pleasant, Apache and Martinez. We have guys that are fairly new to bass fishing and seasoned veterans. The tournaments are a draw format so you get to fish with a lot of different people throughout the year, which is great for picking up new tactics, skills, etc. Everyone wants to win, but the focus is on having fun. The club consists of a bunch of laidback guys who throw a little money in the pot and have fun, thats what makes it enjoyable. If you want you can call me with any questions, feel free to do so. (480) 830-4209 ask for Neil, or leave a message and I'll get back to you. Best of luck and good fishing!

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Neil is right on about joining a local club to get started. You need to meet and fish with other fishermen because the local tournaments are all team format. So you'll need a partner and a club is one way to hook up with someone. The club will also give you the opportunity to fish other lakes. Lots of local tourneys on Roosevelt, Pleasant and Apache so you need to fish those lakes to learn them. If you want to get a taste of big tourney fishing, sign up as a non-boater for an Everstart or WonBass tourney on Pleasant this spring. Those are draw formats where the "pro" gets assigned a non-boater. You'll get to fish with and hopefully learn from more experienced tournament fishermen. You can find all the tournament circuit links you'll need on the AZBassZone home page Tournament Circuit Links page. Cruise through those sites and don't forget to check out the entry fees for each. Its not inexpensive!

·
Registered
355 Posts
glad to hear it y.b.! i was in your position a couple years ago. i decided to dive right in and hit the team circuits & have been full throttle since. most important factor to competitive fishing is if you decide to go teams you must have a partner who is as devoted and determined as yourself (time on the water, split expences, etc.) if you don't have this element you both won't be firing on full cylinders & it takes away from your goals/purpose. if you don't have a partner like this stick to clubs. clubs concept completely eliminates this so you can focus on fishing. whatever way you go always keep learning, stay in tune to every element of bass fishing, be modest, and most importantly be cool! ltr.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your input guys. I will start investigating clubs. I just have found that my only true passion is fishing and I might as well give it a try. I don't know too many other 19 year old guys like myself that already have plenty of fishing experience and a steady drive. I just wanna see how far I can take it. Whether it's making a career out of fishing or just making some extra bucks *or just enough to cover my expenses* would be great. Thanks again guys....I just may give you a call Neil. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are in the East valley please feel free to stop by our club meeting this coming wednesday at 7:30 pm at the Knights of Columbus at 644 E Chandler Blvd. Our schedule is also posted on this board.
Chris Love 602-550-7328

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I really know what you mean Young Bassmaster. I'm only fifteen and probably haven't been fishing quite as long as you but I spend all of my time planning for the future and imagining what tournament fishing will be like. I don't have near the experience of most of the people on this board and I know that it probably the biggest key to successful fishing. I would really like to fish club tournaments but 99.9 percent of the ones I've looked into have an age restriction of 16. I know it'll be tough and I know the chance of me being successful is pretty small at this age but I just want to get my feet wet and see what it's all about. I have read Casey Iwai's story a million times and it always gets my blood pumping, I find it amazing with all of the stuff he acomplished before turning 16. When he was 14 he had a 19 year old partner and he was allready winning. Let me know if you can't find a partner, I'm positive that I wan't fishing to be my one and only thing for the rest of my time on this planet and I nead to start somewhere. Josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Youngbassmaster

Check out Canyon bass club they meet at Dobson Ranch House baseline and dobson 7pm Nov 4th. Casey Iwai, Rob Vanderkooi, Mark Kile started in this club. We fish 11 tounaments enter 20.00 dollars. Most are two day tounaments three nite 6pm to 7am .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chandler Bass Club is the club I represent. Good club only 1 ace which is me all the rest just begginers :p A lot of pranksters and a real family atmosphere when we camp. Competition is there but very laid back. rules are structured for a better chance for everyone not just the guys with the fancy boats. we have a couple of boats that are only 8hp and even a couple of open backseats. Next year it's not teams but we are encouraging everyone to fish with someone for those long days & nights :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts