Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? I have the tracker targa,rather large boat that doesnt like to launch very easy off the trailer in shallower water. I see the different glide sticks or ceramic plates you can put on your trailer carpetted bunks to assist in launching and trailering a boat supposed to make the boat slide off and on easier. Has anyone used these and which is the best ones to buy? also will it hurt a painted aluminum hull?? :?:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Glide Strips

I've thought about adding something like that to my bunks too. I was thinking of attaching a teflon strip directly over the carpet on the bunks.

My concerns were:

1. Will this place more load on the nose strap/tie down since there'll be less friction holding the boat in place therefore increasing the chances of dumping the boat?

2. Will grime from the lake eventually wear into the gel coat and make some ugly looking stripes on the bottom?

3. Will I have to keep the bow strap on when doing the u-turn thing at the bottom of the ramp to keep the boat from slipping off the trailer? (I've heard of this one happening to someone who got off the lake one evening, that night it froze, next day he goes to put in with strap off, makes the u-turn and boat slides off trailer onto ramp! I guess the water in the bunks turned to ice...and well, you get the idea.)

4. Is the benefit (longer lasting bunk carpet) worth the cost/trouble of adding the strips?

Do any of you have experience with this sort of thing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with Boatcop... Don't do it! On aluminum it will dent your boat and on glass it will cause stress cracks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was at San Carlos several years ago and watched as a guy unbuckled his boat at the top of the ramp and start to back down when all of a sudden his boat slid right off of the trailer. It clogged up the ramp for quit a awhile. It took ten guys to pick up the front of the boat and strap it back on the trailer and limp it to the water. I think he had one of those slippery things on his bunks! Later, Tinstar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.