Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the laws around guns in boats. I have seen people driving across lakes and getting out to hunt. I believe you need to be 1/4 mile from the lake when hunting. But what about having the gun in the boat - certainly not loaded?

Boatcop?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hunt out of a boat every year .

the only law is that you cannot be under motor power(including trolling motor) while hunting.(ie cant chase ducks down with your trolling motor).

Lake pleasant is the only big lake you cannot hunt with a centerfire rifle/pistol.

Lake pleasant is the only lake where only certain areas are desginated for hunting and its to shotgun shooting shot or archery.

Lake pleasant is the only lake you have to declare your firearm or archey equipment and your intentions before you hunt.

I have a map of plesant and where you can hunt on the lake, it took me numorious phonecalls before I got the info.

Game and fish dont have much info do to the city anexing the lake. the only person that knows anything about hunting at lake pleasant is a dept. named scott( i think thats his name). the parks dept. will tell you its illegal to hunt on pleasant and they are wrong. If you want to hunt on pleasant and get the typicle bs and run around I have numbers and info to whom to contact.

All other lakes( the big ones) you can hunt big or small game on with any firearm and you have every legal right to have one in your boat . Loaded or unloaded.

roosy does have a goose closure on one part of the lake also.

Deer hunting and **** hunting from a boat is a blast along with ducks and quail.

Delw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some friends that hunt sag for ducks and the occasionally geese(when they are flying).

I like bartlett the best for ducks geese and deer and other target of oportunity.

Delw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boats and hunting

Based on the inputs, does this mean that I can zip around the lake listening for quail and when I see them shut down and shoot at them from the boat? This is a cool new concept to me. I can fish while scouting for quail.

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Guest, try these.

Title 17-310-B. A person shall not take wildlife, except aquatic wildlife, or discharge a firearm or shoot any other device from a motor vehicle, including an automobile, aircraft, train or powerboat, or from a sailboat, boat under sail, or a floating object towed by powerboat or sailboat except as expressly permitted by the commission. No person may knowingly discharge any firearm or shoot any other device upon, from, across or into a road or railway.

R12-4-301. Restrictions for Taking Wildlife in Maricopa County Parks

A. The lands and water lying within the boundaries of all Maricopa County Parks are open to hunting and trapping when a Commission order establishes an open season. Persons may use only the following methods of take:

1. Archery hunting, when lawful for the wildlife taken under R12-4-304.

2. Shotguns shooting shot, when taking small game, predatory, furbearing and nongame animals during quail season in Lake Pleasant, White Tank Mountains, McDowell Mountain and Estrella Mountain Regional Parks. See subsection (F).

B. A person is prohibited from using rifled firearms within the Maricopa County parks system except to take deer during deer seasons established by Commission order with concurrence of the Maricopa County Recreation Services Department.

C. A person shall not trap within the Maricopa County park system except under the provisions of A.R.S. § 17-239 or when the Maricopa County Recreation Services Department and the Arizona Game and Fish Department determine that predatory animal numbers need to be reduced in a park area because of a danger to the public or other wildlife.

D. A person shall not hunt within 1/4 mile of any developed picnic area, boat ramp, shooting range, golf course, or other recreational area developed for public use.

E. Persons entering any part of the Maricopa County Park System for the purpose of hunting shall declare their intention of hunting and pay any fees as required by Maricopa County Recreation Services Department at an entry station when entering the park, if the park has an entry station in operation.

F. This rule does not authorize a person to use a method of take which is prohibited by a city ordinance.

Hope this helps.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
What sort of restrictions/rules are there for hunting doves? do you have to take a hunting course in Az? I know some areas that would be pretty productive and would like to try it.
Jason

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
You can hunt from a boat not moving from its OWN POWER, if you see a criiter and you race towards it then shut down the motor and the boat is still moving, you did a bad thing. if the boat is drifting from the current of a river or because the wind is blowing the boat then you are OK. Basically, you cant shoot from the boat if is moving because you shut down the motor and it is drifting to a stop. there are no regulations on the different species you can hunt from a boat. as long as they are in season you can hunt them, Big game and small game.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah forgot to add.

Lake pleasant isnt controlled by the maricopa county parks system (even though its a maricopa county park)when it comes down to hunting and firearm issues. Its controlled by the city of peoria as of nov 1 2002 when they annex almost the entire lake into there city.

basically the city limits go all the way to the eagle closures. the river entrance.

so the only place to hunt on lake pleasant is in the river but you also have to be past the eagle closures(no discharge of firearms in those 2 spots they are marked on a map ) and you can only hunt until they close the river for the eagles.(or go through the back way)

Delw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Non-Toxic Shot

Remember to check regulations to clarify which areas on any waterway (lake, stream, creek, pond, etc) may be a designated non-toxic shot zones.

AZ G & F should be able to answer specific questions regarding this and which areas. Also refer to the Federal regs.

I do know that if you are hunting any waterfowl, you must use nontoxic shot on any lake or field.

GOOD HUNTING!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guest said:
Does anyone know the laws around guns in boats. I have seen people driving across lakes and getting out to hunt. I believe you need to be 1/4 mile from the lake when hunting. But what about having the gun in the boat - certainly not loaded?

Boatcop?
I'm surprised that you can be on the bank blasting away at prey in season i.e. quail. Are you sure you do not need to be 1/4 mile from water before hunting and shoting.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts