Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of joining a group of friends to go camping up at Hawley Lake. I know it's mostly trout fishing (which is good) but I was wondering if anyone has camped and fished up there? Any thoughts on what to use for fishing? What are the campgrounds like? I heard the cabins are horrible but I'll be in a tent so I'm too worried. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mostly trout I thought tjats all hawley jad besides crawfish as far as camping goes I know theres a campground on the dam side I drive by it every year and it looks pretty decent

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fishing was never that good for me, power bait off the bank, cow bells in a boat. Boat rental was 40 1/2 day and 60 all day. ( 3 years ago) As for the cabins they are ok. Bring extra light bulbs, seems some are always burnt out but for the most part they are not bad.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hawley

The tribe "manages" (or is responsible for) Hawley. They do a SHITTY job at best...The campgrounds are a mess...The Port a Jons are always too full to use..They suck at caring for the place (and everything else they are given)...Expect lots of cows to come through your site ALL NIGHT! This was the case last year when I took my boy camping there....Have Fun!!!!! Hope it's better than my experience there...I stick to National Forest spots...

·
Registered
133 Posts
you guys must not be camping at the right lakes.....never had a problem and camping has always been nice...been going there for 20 years and prefer the rez to any of the rim lake opportunities. Plus the trout fishing is better ten fold there with exception to big lake and Chevelon

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am with AK. I love the white mountains. Camped at Hawley in the fall and it wasn't to bad. The cows do come into camp allot and the shitters suck but i heard the fishing was good right now for stockers. Try super dupers, z rays, and castmasters. Had a friend there last week and he caught over 50 a day with a mixture of browns and rainbows but nothing big.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lots of 10''-12' bows there.Actually cuaght a fair amount of browns 2 weeks ago at Hawley.They were all about the size of the bows.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the rez has the best trout fishing, on any given day during the right time of day you can catch a trophy fish. I do believe they mis manage there fishery and need to get there chit together but if i was going to try and catch a big brown i would go to one of the lake on the rez. If you get away from hawley lake you might be surprised what you can catch....little bear, big bear, and hawley are like the woods canyon of the rez

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The tribe "manages" (or is responsible for) Hawley. They do a SHITTY job at best...The campgrounds are a mess...The Port a Jons are always too full to use..They suck at caring for the place (and everything else they are given)...Expect lots of cows to come through your site ALL NIGHT! This was the case last year when I took my boy camping there....Have Fun!!!!! Hope it's better than my experience there...I stick to National Forest spots...
+1

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Go up a little further up the road to Big Lake. A lot cleaner and the fishing was great this past Friday.

But remember, Memorial Day weekend....everybody will be up there especially when it's 105 degrees down here. ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll see if I can talk the group into going somewhere else.

-Tight Lines!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Stream fishing on the reservation is where its at. I've caught 20+ inch Browns in secret spots on Apache reservation steams.3-5 pound browns

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
the res does not suck at all. reservation lake and hawley are both bad ass with nice fish in them too. you want to hang out with everybody and their brother sure go to big lake. drive around the back of horseshoe lake there is some sweet camp sites, sunrise lake is great when the wind isnt blowing and the fish are usually quality. National Forest Lakes up there arent even that good, The Greer Lakes, Cresent, Lee Valley, Luna Lake, Mexican Hay Lake, or go fish at sheeps crossing catch some 8" trout.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the res does not suck at all. reservation lake and hawley are both bad ass with nice fish in them too. you want to hang out with everybody and their brother sure go to big lake. drive around the back of horseshoe lake there is some sweet camp sites, sunrise lake is great when the wind isnt blowing and the fish are usually quality. National Forest Lakes up there arent even that good, The Greer Lakes, Cresent, Lee Valley, Luna Lake, Mexican Hay Lake, or go fish at sheeps crossing catch some 8" trout.
Hit up North Fork of the White River, There is also a beautiful waterfall that you can cliff dive from. Awesome spot

·
Registered
394 Posts
i haven't been to Hawley in 15 years. Don't remember the cabins being shitty. Do remember catching our limit every day using cow bells off the boat and power bait and salmon eggs from the shore.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Guess we shouldnt have pissed the indians off back in the 70's, they appear to hold a grudge for a pretty long time. It was good times back then when they were happy with white people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts