Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my 7 year old wants to go fishing with his rookie dad. We live in Tucson and have only done the urban lake (Silverbell) thing and want to try a larger lake. No boat,so it needs to be shoreline friendly. We have a couple of zebcos and a basic tackle box. I'm thinking a trip to Wallyworld is in order or maybe Sportsmans.
Anyone willing to advise me on fishing spots, gear or technique would be appreciated. thanks, Jim and CJ: Jerk-it

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to Tackleman's on Miracle Mile and spend a few minutes with Dennis. He would be happy to help....the guys at the Tucson Sportsman's are unfriendly and not very knowledgeable.

Arivaca is more shoreline-friendly than Patagonia, but not much. I've never been to Parker Canyon, so I can't help with that one.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Welcome, and cool. The "T-town guys" can probally help you better, but I wouldn't put a trip to Patty out of the question. They also have little rental boats there I think. That lake DEFINATELY has some piggies in it! good luck.

I'm glad to see a father supporting his son's interests, even when it's "newground" for you. AWSOME.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome, and cool. The "T-town guys" can probally help you better, but I wouldn't put a trip to Patty out of the question. They also have little rental boats there I think. That lake DEFINATELY has some piggies in it! good luck.

I'm glad to see a father supporting his son's interests, even when it's "newground" for you. AWSOME.
The cheap rentals there are $80.00! :eek:

As for what to buy, my father started me out with a Zebco and worms...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Arivaca is pretty good from shore, but with the water levels being really low, the weeds are gonna be thick. Parker Canyon is also very good from shore but it's the same deal. If the water is low, the weeds get very thick. But if Parker Canyon is full, just walk the south shoreline and toss creature and craw baits and flip jigs to any trees that are in the water. And don't be afraid to throw to a tree really close to shore, I caught my biggest bass there from a tree 6ft from shore. Goodluck!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to Tackleman's on Miracle Mile and spend a few minutes with Dennis. He would be happy to help....the guys at the Tucson Sportsman's are unfriendly and not very knowledgeable.

Arivaca is more shoreline-friendly than Patagonia, but not much. I've never been to Parker Canyon, so I can't help with that one.
many of my buddys work at sportsmans, and know their shit! mostly in achery section, but the old guy that works in fishing knows a shit load. dont know who u were talking to...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
"flip jigs to any trees that are in the water."

this guys a rookie, i dont think he'll be doing any flipping any time soon,

if i were you, i would buy some magazines and read about what the pros do, and what their using, then apply to the lakes (you can do the same on the internet as well), then talk to people at tackle stores, then progress in buying a spinning rod, then a baitcast and so on and so forth, but i would read up on fishing before jumping head on into the sport with no clue, especially with a young one because you want to make it excitng for him before he loses interest.

·
Registered
132 Posts
this guys a rookie, i dont think he'll be doing any flipping any time soon
true true, what I was going for wasn't so much the technique of flipping, but just what always catches me fish at Parker from shore when it is full. I used to "flip" there with my ultra-light with braid before I got some bigger, better equipment.

Jim and CJ, reading mags and the internet is always good, talk to the guys at the shops, go out fishing as much as you can. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
911 Posts
How long is the span of atttention for your 7 year old? If you are heading to a larger lake I'd maybe buy a bag of Senko's or Texas-rig worms. Next to that I'd keep it simple and minnows and worms under a bobber. Nothing like seeing that bobber start to move around and then go under.
Great point Bob. Teaching a kid to fish artificials from shore can be frustrating for both of you. Dragging a lightly rigged plastic worm over the bottom can be productive and easy to do, but keep the nightcrawlers or minnows handy to pass the time with bluegill action.

Good job for trying to help your son develop his interests.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
many of my buddys work at sportsmans, and know their shit! mostly in achery section, but the old guy that works in fishing knows a shit load. dont know who u were talking to...
We're talking about fishing, not archery. The only times I've ever gone there, the employees in the fishing section were too busy stocking trout bait and talking amongst themselves to tell me whether they carried Sebile lures one time and the other time I needed them to check for some Suffix line which I was hoping just wasn't stocked from the storeroom.:beatingdeadhorse:

The guys in the gun section seem to be pretty cool.

·
Registered
990 Posts
We're talking about fishing, not archery. The only times I've ever gone there, the employees in the fishing section were too busy stocking trout bait and talking amongst themselves to tell me whether they carried Sebile lures one time and the other time I needed them to check for some Suffix line which I was hoping just wasn't stocked from the storeroom.:beatingdeadhorse:

The guys in the gun section seem to be pretty cool.
you right, now that i really think about it its hard getting help in the fishing section. i always have to track someone down. but yes, archery and gun section the guys are cool, VERY helpful.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Gee Guys,,,
He just wants to take his son "fishing".... He said nothing about fishing for bass so I'm assuming he just wants to put his son on some fish, any fish to keep the kids attention and excitement.
I don't yet live in Arizona so I can't help much except to say that a worm and bobber will probably suffice at catching a bluegill or something.
A 7 year old that hasn't had the pleasure of catching a fish probably will be happy watching the bobber take a dunk and reeling in something that pulls back. lol. I know I was happy with that when I was a kid. I fished for bluegill for years. I thought that was the world of fishing.
A Zebco, a bobber, hook and a worm was all I did for years. I even had a Popeils Pocket Fisherman. Remember those???? I loved that thing. Wish I still had one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the tips

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did stop by the shop on Miracle Mile, very nice people in their. They gave me some advice and even some bass mags to look thru.
CJ attention span is pretty good, 3 hours at Silverbell to catch a hand size fish. No complaints and wants to go back.
We will do the bobber /worm action until he learns to cast better and then move into some simple artifical stuff.
Arivaca and Parker sound great. Is their times of the day that are better, I see a lot of post about night fishing. thanks, Jim :cool:

·
Registered
990 Posts
EARLY in the morning produces most fish for me. for live bait fishing, it depends what your fishing for. catfish is best eavning, bluegill are usually active all day long. bass usually most active first thing in morning (in my experiance) give it a try. thats really all you can do. welcome to the confusing but enjoyable sport of fishing. even if you dont catch fish, kep ur head up high and try something new next time. good luck
adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
made it to Arivaca

CJ and I were able to fish Arivaca a week or so ago.
2 zebcos, a foamie of nightcrawlers and a basic tackle box, we were hi-tech all right.
The lake had a couple of boats on it and maybe 4 people fishing from the shore. Nice and peaceful way to hangout with your 7 year old.
I saw 6 bass caught in about 3 hours. CJ caught one out of the 6 and what a treat it was for both of us. He had already caught a couple of nice bluegills ( think that is what they were) and we had seen the other bass being caught, so we were hoping he got a bass.
Sure enough the kid caught his first bass and it was every bit as large as the 3 pounder that the guy (Robert) had caught next to us earlier.

thanks again for all the advice, Jim :lol: :lol:

·
Undergoing attitude adjustment
1,806 Posts
good to hear that i caught my first bass out of vaca to when i was 8 years old.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would fish Parker with your son. The entire lake is shore fishing friendly and your boy will love slaying all the bluegill around there it is also quite a bit cooler than Arivaca or Patagonia. Buy some worms, get a bobber that's all the kid needs. As the adult while your son is playing you could try and learn how to bass fish/

·
Registered
500 Posts
Parker should be your next "big lake" trip. Worm a couple of feet under a bobber from shore should work for all species in that lake, especially the bluegill. Also, if you go in late October - June you should catch some stocker trout. Fish a worm on the bottom or under a bobber. Also try powerbait for trout on the bottom with a 1/4 oz. weight, a 12-18 inch leader, and a small hook (#12 or a #16 treble).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts