Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i am a little above average fisherman, when it comes to skills. i go fishing about ever weekend. i just got into baitcasting reels about 2 years ago, and i am a novince caster when it comes to baitcasting reels. i am looking into some baitcasting combos, and i need your help! i have 3 choices in mind, please help me decide
number 1 is not a baitcasting reel but a casting reel. i always wanted to try a casting reel but im afraid that i will buy one and i wont be able to cast w/o getting a birds nest. is it harder then casting with them then baitcasters??? Anywase
number one isCabela's Megaroyal Plus.its in the new cabelas 2004 spring catalog, this reel contains 5 BB’s. it comes with w/ a cabelas Tourney Trail IM7 rod 6’6’’ion length and medium action , and a strike king 60 piece bass kit all for $89.99
number 2 is also from cabelas 2004 spring catalog it is the New Tournament ZX combo, this reel contains also 5 BB’s. it comes mated with a fish II eagle rod all for $109.
Number 3 is from the sportsmans guide. It is a Pinnacle Erica SR baitcaster, this reel contains 6 BB’s. this reel comes w/ a Pinnacle Triwing classic rod 6’6’’ in length. Yes this reel is a old style. That y its featured in The Sportsmans guide. it claims that its compared to $250.00. but its running for $99.97!
My choice so far is numbers one, but again im afraid about the casting reel thing. without the magnetics. And my second choice is number 3, so far.
Which one would u recommend?????
Are there anyother rod/reel combos w/ atleast 5 BB’s for less then $110 that u would recommend???\

Please help me pick one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rod and Reel combo

Go to bassproshops.com and check out the combos. I wouldn't pay much attention to the # of ball bearings. In the price range you're looking, you'll get something you will be happy with. Pay more attention to the type of fishing you'll be using the rod for and which rod length and stiffness / reel and ratio will work best for you. What do you want to use the rod for? There's lots of guys on this site that would be willing to help.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you can afford it, get one of the curado/bps extreme combos. Once you get the curado set up, you will hardly ever backlash. Start out with a cheap linp line(like trilene xl). Also start out throwing heavier baits(3/8 - 1/2 oz) they will be easier to cast.

SteveM

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have to agree with steveM go with the curado if you can. There not that difficult to learn to throw. If cant go that way try BPS alot of people use there rods & reels.
Joe C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reccomend a curado also. I have four of them. Three 100's and one 200. I recomend the 100's because they weigh less and they fit in the hand a lot better. For the rods, I have eight St Croix rods and I like them a lot. Good luck on your combo. Let us know how you like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My you have opened a big can of worms with that one be prepared for alot of diff. names of reels that are going to come your way!lol
No matter the brand you pick up ( I agree with Steve you should first off identify what you are going to use this setup for) Almost everybody on this site has a diff. setup for everything meaning Steve uses 1 type of rods for crankbaits then another for plastics and another for spooning then another for drop-shotting etc. etc. etc. I would go to 1 of the local shops and look at the diff. makes and models of reels I personaly use Quantum reels PT reels and Quantum Energy tour rods. I have and still use
my Quantum 500 that I bought from popular outdoors 14 years ago
it has never been apart or cleaned because it has never let me down they do not even make them anymore but enough of that. I would go with a combo that at least pairs it up with a rod that is rated med/hvy. 6'6 to 7'6 . As with most things YOU will have to practice with it and you will find that if you get a reel that has a ratio of 6 you will loose dragging in power ( you can crank it but the fish wont come ) if you had a reel that is 5 you can crank them in with little problem. If I was you I would look or ask around to see if anybody has a extra baitcaster that you might be able to tryout to see if you like it or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy any Baitcaster you want...and then practice, practice, practice. There is nothing better than a well trained thumb...I personally like the Calcutta 100 best...Casts like a dream.

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey

its me that asked this question in the first place.
i will probably use this rod for multiple things, since i only own about 4 bass combos. this will be my fifth. but this will also be my second bass baitcaster. anywase i will probably use this new combo for lighter stuff. such as sinkos and light jigs, spoons maybe, and probably most soft plactics. so basically anything but heavy stuff, and crankbaits.

so what one should i get now???

thanks for helping

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I Prefere the Rick Clunn Reals as well,but i have a few extra Diawa PS25B Reals if you wanna practice on them ? PM me if your want -

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey MRBASS

i dono if that PM worked but, im interested in your daiwa reels. how much r u asking? and what r the spcifics on them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts