Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Need a little help on what Minn Kota Trolling Motor to buy for my 18ft. Grumman Deck Boat. What I want to buy, is a Minn Kota Power Drive, Auto Pilot, with Copilot added on. My boat currently, has a Johnson 12/24 volt 41lb. thrust with 6 speeds, foot control and seems to work the boat nicely! Want to know if I should go 12 or 24 volts, what thrust amount I might need, and if there is a better place to purchase for warranty and cost? Thanks for any info. Lare.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Some folks on this board have had problems with the autopilot,I have a maxxum 65 and it works well on a 20 ft fish and ski, I would go with a 24 volt and as much thrust as you can afford in whichever model you choose. Delw may be able to help you.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm one of the folks that had problems with the Auto Pilot. The Power Drives have had their share of problems too. Mine was in the local shop twice and had to be sent back to Minn Kota another time (in 2 years). Apparently, supposedly, Minn Kota has redesigned the computer board to take care of those problems. My board was replaced twice and so was the magnetic compass. I have the Maxxum on my boat now. The Auto Pilot is fixed and in my garage. Stick with the basics in a trolling motor. There's less that can go wrong. Auto Pilot is a great feature, but..... if you're really sold on one of those, get the quick release mount. It makes taking it off a lot easier when you have to send it back to the factory or certified technician! Hey, I have a 2 year old Auto Pilot (and quick release mount) for sale! Cheap!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 74lb thrust MAXXUM on the front of my 18' bass boat. I love it - works great. Make sure you get one with a long enough shaft so it will be in the water (I imagine your front deck is a bit higher than most bass boats). I would recommend a 24 volt system at least 64 lbs. so you don't get blown around on the lake. Those deck boats have a lot of sailboard and you'll be fighting wind. Good luck and let us know what you get and what you think of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy bought a Auto pilot last year and he's had trouble with it. I had a 12 volt until I thought I would grease everything up and took the lower housing apart. OOPPS :shock: I guess your not supposed to do that. I bought a new 24 volt(motor guide) and it's nice to have the extra power if you need it.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Dont do it, get a maxxim in at least 64#. the electric drive ones are slow to respond and will have problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts