Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a recommendation for a gas problem at my house.
I was out of town for a few days and my wife called and said she smelled gas when the gas stove was on. When she would turn the stove off the smell would go away. Since I was out of town I told her to call the gas company (Southwest Gas) and have them check it out. They couldn't find anything wrong with the stove and leak checked all the fittings and valves that they could get to in the utility closet and couldn’t find any problems. Then they shut off all the gas appliances and closed the valves to all the appliances. With all the valves off, they say we have a .25 CFH leak somewhere. They shut off the valve at the meter and locked it out. They also put some blocking plates in the fittings before and after the meter.

I’m guessing that to find the leak I’ll need some way of pressurizing the system and start checking all the joints with soapy water, or some kind of leak detector. Anyone have a recommendation for a plumber in Tucson to take a look at this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
AZ Plumbing Contractors. 520-888-8333. i used to work there, 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I went through the same thing a few years ago and it sucked! You can buy a fitting that you plumb into your gas line. It has a valve build in that allows you to pressurize the system with compressed air. Find the leak, fix it and then do a leak down test. The system has to hold a certain amount of PSI over a certain time period before and inspector will pass it call the gas company to turn service back on.

Mine turned out to be the buried gas line from the meter to the house. And although it was fairly easy to re-plumb, the leak down test and the inspector part were a bitch. It took me about 4 days (I had to do it after work) to finish. If I could have afforded a plumber, I would have let them do it. It was truly a stressful pain in the ass.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I went through the same thing a few years ago and it sucked! You can buy a fitting that you plumb into your gas line. It has a valve build in that allows you to pressurize the system with compressed air. Find the leak, fix it and then do a leak down test. The system has to hold a certain amount of PSI over a certain time period before and inspector will pass it call the gas company to turn service back on.

Mine turned out to be the buried gas line from the meter to the house. And although it was fairly easy to re-plumb, the leak down test and the inspector part were a bitch. It took me about 4 days (I had to do it after work) to finish. If I could have afforded a plumber, I would have let them do it. It was truly a stressful pain in the ass.
yeah the guage is pretty cheap. if you do this make sure you cap of the line coming out of the meter. if you pressure up the meter you can blow a diaphram..... so ive been told.

id recomend calling a plumber. but then again im one, and a gas leak isnt like a water leak. yeah a water leak can cause damage but not death like a gas leak.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it looks like a pain in the ass, and I just don't have time to deal with it.
Thanks for the help, I'll give AZ Plumbing Contractors a call!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts