Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just thumbing through my bps catalog,w/ the cards game on and came across those battery operated hook sharpeners and was wondering if they are better than just a file???Will they sharpen a premium hook as well as they are out of the package??Also any suggestions on a lure retriever i use the hound dog now,but was wondering if the telescopic ones are better??

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i use the hound retriever too. it's compact,and can go deep.it can also go around and down rocks.the telescopic pole.is made from aluminum and unless you have a direct path to your bait,your in trouble. i only resharpen hooks in pre-fishing,with a compact twin file sharpener,the one you hold between your index finger and thumb.in a tourny,i put on a new hook,which has the best and sharpest point.i use xps's from bps,on sale the are 3 packs (75 hooks) for $9.99.they are as sharp as most of the high priced hooks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I use a file to sharpen hooks. I get out of control with the battery powered ones and have ground a few points down when it slipped off the hook. As for the lure retriever, I use a hound for deep retrieves and the pole (limited water depth) for tree retrieves. I have paid for the pole by getting those lures left in the bushes by others. On the hound I did add some small chain links as help to engage the hooks when freeing lures from the depths.

G

·
Battery operated Sharpeners

Never had much luck with those electric things. Like the other gentleman said, you can kiss the hook good-bye if you have had too much caffeine that day. If it slips, it ruins the hook. I like the diamond rail type that is about the size of a 16 penny nail. It has a groove in it and can reach all angles of the hook point. No batteries and works really well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts