Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Delw posted a link to this site at Undergroundtackle.com and I thought I'd check it out. I don't know if the techniques and lures you use are much different than those used in N.Y., but every category probalby has uses in each climate. We are frotunate to have many ponds and lowland lakes surrounded by wetlands, so every thing that pertains to shallow bass'n, pertains to many of our waters.

Probably a no-brainer is the stick-type worm. The Senko is one of our biggest producers, followed by large tubes and 5" fat grubs.
Topwater, spinnerbaits, cranks and other soft plastics have a time and place, but for some strange reason, sticks are king. Tidal river fishing allows everything to be used, so Senkos are subordinate.

Nice site - the designers have done multiple sites the same way as this one. (No need to change a good formula.) Participation level is next in importance and this site seems to have enough to allow a good exchange.

Sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Sam how the heck you doing.

When you coming to AZ for a lesson on real bass fishing :wink:

Delw

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Hi Sam! Seems like Delw's always doing something underground.

Anyway, your NY techniques will work out here. And the Senko, its been know to catch a few too. In all western humility, Senkos were invented in Arizona and Yamamoto's HQ is in Page, AZ. We also fish deep since our reservoirs bottom out at over 100 ft we'll catch LMs in 60 feet. Drop-shotting is very productive too in our clear waters. Another unique technique out here is trout baits. 6 to 12 inch rainbow trout imitations. Those started out in California and are widely used on the local lakes around Phoenix in the late fall and winter. Our G&F department stocks both Canyon and Saguaro Lakes with rainbow trout every two weeks beginning in November thru the winter. Our big bass just tear 'em up. Our state record LM is about 16.5 lbs out of Canyon Lake. 4 or 5 lakes close to Phoenix have Smallies as well and that state record is 7lbs. I won't go into details but you can fish for walleye and striped bass at our lakes too. The Colorado River, Lake Mead, and Lake Powell have some huge stripers.

We fish all year, when you coming down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d a, I had a feeling you share the same techniques as many of the deep Calif. impoundments. I was lost fishing in L.A. reservoirs that go down to 150' and was happy to get back to N.Y. to fish tons of water 10' or less. My local bass lake is only 14' deep at most, averaging 4-7' as most productive. Considering the fishing pressure, nice limits are weighed in almost every year.

As I said, the Hudson R. offers some of the best tidal bass'n in the whole n.e., but again, shallow-water sand bars and adjoining creeks offer numbers and quality. When I think of AZ, I envision lots of rocks, steep cliffs and drops, few weed beds in shallow water and clear water. Do you limit often?

Sam

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Senkosam, let me clarify things for you.. First you replied that you wanted to fish with the best, I am guessing by your message you think that is Delw. Well he is good for sure.......real good.. Maybe.... the best?? Don't swell up his head, it won't fit in his hat. Too many good fisherpersons down here to say who is the best. I would recommend a Monday Morning Breakfast Club meeting at Saguaro and enjoy a good amount of help from everyone. Another thing, you may have seen pictures of his boats on this site, but Ive seen him on the water. He fishes out of a tube. I think he got is off of a dump truck. I don't thing General makes fishing tubes. The only thing new on that tube are his new flippers. He does have electronics though. It fun to see him looking at his watch/display, to see how deep the water is where his bobber is sitting. A good thing, he always brings one, if not both of his kids. If you visit, it might get a bit crowded, you may want to use your boat.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are too much! :lol: (The only reason I'm buttering Del up is to get a deal on his plastisol, and the only thing I know about him are his manufacture of great soft-plastic molds.)

Sam

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I read it and even though i got a chuckle DELW WILL PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE ARE MY MOLDS?? i am holding off of worm and lead production till i get them Delw. I knew i should have held your rods ransom. As for the quail, i just got done reloading some # 6 shot for them little bastards. That 3rd shot will count now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts