Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 blazer and I just put a new battery in it. I was driving down the 101 today and I just lost all throttle. I put it to the floor and no response. I was "dead in the water" in 4 o'clock traffic right at the construction by the 60. Everything else is working. Think its the fuel pump? Usually when I first start it I let the fuel pump do its thing (buzzzzzz) and then I turn the ignition. But now I get a very faint "buzzzzzz" when I turn the key and it just turns and turns but will not fire. Anybody who can help please help. I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump but i am hoping it is something simple since a new pump is around $300. And unfortuneately right now thats a lot of coin for me to spend.Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Bad ground somewhere would be my guess.

JOhn

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My Tahoe did the same thing coming back from Cali a few years back, died going 80. I first checked the filter and electrical, it was the fuel pump. If yours has not gone out before, your due.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree it is the pump as well. I had a 96 Blazer, and while it never died on me while I was driving, it did die once while I was stopped at a stoplight. This was after a few days of hard to no starting. Had a can of carb cleaner, and when it would not start, I would put a shot of it into the throttle body and it would fire right up.

Check NAPA for the pump. As I recall, I paid just over $200 there for mine. Wasn't a real difficult job to replace it with less than a quarter tank of fuel. If you do decide to DIY, and it is like mine was, there is a small line on top of the fuel tank near the front that I was not aware of until the plastic fitting on the tank broke. Also, you might want to think about replacing the hoses between the filler and the tank, as I had to cut mine off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts