Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I have fished for years and I dont have a clue of what you all call a Rico??? Will someone let me in on this secret, or give me a link to check one out. Go ahead and laugh but I dont know what one is or if I do I dont know what its called in my terms. Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Its a top water lure,that works great in our lakes. Sure there costly,but they sure put the fish in the boat...Just ask for them at any tackel shop.

G

·
Heres the link to the lobina site.
they are the ones who own westy and ricos and a few others.

http://www.lobinalures.com/start.htm

I never liked to buy them due to the cost and I dont like to throw hard plastics, however this year they made a big difference, there is not any other topwater plug(cheaper) that works as good as the rico. it has a completely different splash/spit.
I bang the hell out of them on the rocks and they take a beating(ask Mr.bass) other topwaters cracked on me throwing them that way.
Also with the hooks they use I havent lost one fish on them yet.

the last 5 tournys I fished in and 4 got a check/ prize was because of the rico.(plus my worms :wink: )
I got a 3.1lb bass today with it.

But if you want to put quality fish in the boat buy one or 2.

Delw

G

·
I take a Pop R and remove the hooks that come with it and replace them Gamagatsu. you can also buy some tied with feathers for the back if you want. Before putting the hooks back on I will sometimes sand the sides down making the bait slimmer and a little lighter. Then I use my own color preferences. I have used the thin foil with holigrams my ex used on her fingernails. I paint a dark color on top, a white or silver on the side and maybe a thin glitter coat on the bottom. Then a clear coat to protect the finish. The biggest change is to the mouth of the bait. Sand down the lower lip to make it lift the front when you pull it. Then the important part take just a little off the either side you'll have to experiment with this. You want the bait to roll on its side. This causes the bait to flash different colors which is why I use white or silver on the sides of the bait. If I am feeling lazy or I want a bigger profile I just modify the front and replace the hooks. I generally work on 4 or 5 at a time so while one is drying I can sand on another. Good Luck

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Those modifications sounds cool, F Fever! I have seen a splash-it or rico outfish a stock POP R on quite a few occasions. Me being the guy throwing the stock POP-R! The old Rico's dont rattle, those are my favorite.
Jason

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I actually know what they are just not by names

Tell ya the truth I didint have time to say thanks to you all for the information, I headded up to wallmart and was shocked that they had the rico's for 16 bucks but only two and that was ok with me. I also picked up 2 pop-r's to see what all the commotion is about, lol. Headded out to canyon last nigt about 10:30 till about 3am. Not much luck with them at night so I will be going out again in the morn probally this weekend, I cant wait to try them out again. Thaks everyone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ricos

I have used Ricos for 12 or 13 yrs. True, they are expensive, and true, they usually catch more fish. I have lost fish on them! But, that's fishing. My largest bass, 9.5 lbs., came on a Rico at Saguaro. Four or five years ago I switched to the Rio Rico, which is a little bigger aand heavier. I still get quite a few strikes, and the quality of fish is usually larger than the smaller Rico. My personal preference in color is Baby Bass.

Gary

G

·
Gary.
I use the bigger ones as well Rio Ricos, Mr. bass will use a smaller one. Mine will get the fish 9 out of nine times his will not. I really think it has to do with size.

Delw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts