Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the couple years of reading fishing sites, I don't think I've ever seen a post about flashers.
Is there an advantage to having a flasher instead of a graph? I've only seen one flasher doing its thing and saw it read the depth and water temp. I didn't see it marking fish.
Does anyone have one and know how to use it? Do you like it or do you wish you had a graph instead?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I didnt know that you had a FLASHER :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 90 Ranger has one, I guess from the factory. Iv'e heard from the old timers they are good for finding shad but what's the use? :? If I run the flasher it tweaks the signal on my other finder on the dash. May as well use the modern finder that I'm still learning to read. :? Course now I need to fix my crunched transponder. :oops: That rocky ridge just came out of no where! :oops:

G

·
I have one in my boat but really do not use it.they say it marks fish but I never figured out how to do it.

ned02

·
Registered
114 Posts
Flashers are nice because they are instant feed back while a graph has a slight delay when it comes to reading the depth or fish. Fish show up on a flasher as a thin red "blip" between the bottom lines and the surface clutter. Really good for vertical fishing if you have one on the bow. On my old boat I had an in dash flasher and a humin bird graph on the console. I would cruise the lake using the graph and look for structure or fish in deep water and when I would find something I would switch to the flasher so I could place my marker exactly on top of my target. Of coarse you can always adjust your trasnducer to make targets appear when you are right over them making a flasher obsolite but I still find them to be a useful piece of equipment.

-Dave King

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's almost impossible to tell the difference between a school of shad or a school of bass. Shcools of fish will come in as a thicker red line than a single, but everything on a flasher comes in as red.

-Dave King

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I built my first flasher from a kit (Heathkit). Remember those d a? My Rangers came with flashers but I replaced them with graphs. Anyway, on the flashers, any kind of fish shows up as thin red lines between the zero point (surface) and the bottom. A single large fish showw up as a thicker line than a small fish. If you go over a tree, it shows up the same way except the lines would originate from the bottom line and work their way up toward the surface. E.g., if you go over 50' of water and went over a tree 10' tall, you'd get thin red lines from the 50' mark (bottom) up to the 40' mark. There may be an advantage with a flasher, but I can't see it.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I would be interested in seeing it Delw, however, America West is completely booked for flights to your side of town right now! Possibly on his website there may be something??? :idea:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Bayou next time you see me on the lake ,stop by and I will turn the thing on for you and you can see for yourself what it does,I also have a one paragraph instruction sheet for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts