Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I am trying to "jig" the vertical walls a Saguaro. I am using a twin tails hula grubb on a 3/8 oz egg shape jig.( I think thats what its called). The water is 35 feet deep.
How far away from the wall do you try and keep the boat?
Do you let the jig fall all the way to the bottom?
If you are using a baitcaster and letting it free fall your line needs to be very slack if you want it to fall straight down. How do you know when you get a bite?

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
keep the boat as far as you can . yes free fall the jig all the way to the bottom and work it all the way back to the boat. look for cracks changes in the walls. also try different size jig heads to find the fall rate the fish want. good luck

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
mIKE,
I would go with the heaviest head you can get away with in this case (On a football head), and band all the rocks. I personally would use a spinning rod to get a better, more vertical fall. This is one of my most favorit-est baits! :wink:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Does the fish slam it hard and you have to quickly close the bail (if spinning gear) and set the hook or does your line stop and you slowly tighten up the line and then set the hook?

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
WATCH YOUR LINE your line will stop or jump and feel for pressure when you lift up the jig after it has fallen to the bottom. i have caught lots of jig fish by just feeling a little bit of pressure and slamming the hook.try texas riggin a hula grub with a 3/0 wide gap hook and a 3/16 bullet weight for free fallen jigs down the walls

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.