AZBZ Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all already know that when I got to Sag last night, hit the trim to remove the stabilzer bar and no power. Was going to switch cables around but water was choppy so just parked and fished off the pier on the north side. A gentleman fishing there also suggested that I could have jumped the starter battery from one of the 2 tm batteries I have. Is this true? I've also heard I could do some damage that way. So what wisdom can you share? Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I have on older boat motors both Mr. Bass's boat 1980merc and my 1992merc , a friends 1994 johnson and a few others and never had problems.

I have heard that some of the new motors you cant. could be rumor could be true.

One thing for sure if you hook the cables up wrong even for a split second you can fry your electronics.

Delw

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delw. said:
One thing for sure if you hook the cables up wrong even for a split second you can fry your electronics.
Delw
So I would want to be sure to hook the + to the - and the - to the +? :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you have a 24 volt trolling motor circuit, you have to make sure you use tap off of the first battery in the 24 volt string (the battery which is actually connected to the boats ground and then to the second trolling motor battery). If you use the second battery (with the negative held at +12 vdc from the boats ground) you'll have a “spectacular light show” (right next to your fuel tank...) and the sweet smell of burnt ozone, because you're then applying +12 volts to a battery terminal that's connected to ground. It's actually a real easy thing to do, but take your time and be careful. If you wanted to be safe about it, you could disconnect your trolling batteries completely, jump your motor, and then connect the trolling batteries as they were. That would minimize any room for error since the trolling batteries would then be isolated from everything. But come on, you're a young lady and I'm sure you could find someone to do the work for you while you sat down in the shade, eating a bonbon... :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
NightCrawler.

only do that if you have gas spilled in the bottom of the boat on a nice 118 degree day. :roll: then you will get the full effect and maybe a nice perm.

Delw

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
To be safe unhook one of your trolling motor batteries and jump off of that one. once your motor is started unhook the trolling motor battery and rehook your strting battery. i made a set of 10 gauge jumper cables that are 4 foot long that i keep in my boat

·
Registered
119 Posts
I JUST KEEP 2 STARTING BATTERIES AND 2 TROLLING MOTOR BATTERIES, ON BOARD. NO MORE PROBLEMS !

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Skunked, good point on the "light show" if the boat ground and trolling motor ground are one and the same. My Ranger has two completely separate circuits, one for the starter and accessories and one for the trolling motor. Ground is not common between the two circuits. This is easier to do on a fiberglass boat and I expect aluminum boats end up sharing a common ground via the hull.

·
Registered
75 Posts
jump starting

I use a portable jump starter. I carry it on my boat when fishing. I have used it to start cars, trucks, boats, and to run my trolling motor once when it ran down during a tournament. They can be found at Costco, Walmart, K-mart, and any auto parts store. Just a thought!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks aznative. Good idea!

And no Jack, you may not have our boat! Your's is used to doing tricks! It'll be just fine! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
.The portable powerpack is a good idea , I use mine to power blacklights and crappie lights to save my starting battery and have used it to jump both the car and truck.As for my boat doing "tricks" ...um..nevermind.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
My boat mechanic cautions me from jump starting the motor battery as it throws a huge surge threw motor which he says can damage the power pack. After replacing several power packs i tend to agree with him. use caution and don't make a habit of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts