Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Q is, I know at some point I'll have to go, but they sent me a summons in the mail, what if I just say I never got it, ya know, like when they do catch up with me down the road sometime. They cant prove I got it in the mail w/o a signature right. These things are a pain in the ass. When they do catch up with me, I'll postpone as many times as I can, then tell them everything they DONT wanna hear. What cha all think. any of you pressed the envelope. I'm not that stupid, I wont risk my freedom or $$$ to press to far, but ...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wont name names.. but I can tell you I know several people that simply tear the summons up when they get it. Like you said, no proof you rec'd it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
My jury experience lasted all of maybe two hours and turned into a blessing in disguise. I went through the jury process first thing in the morning then at the case we were chosen for I knew the defendant so they let me go. Since I took the day off for jury duty, I got a free day at home to relax without the kids and wife. I went to an urban pond.

And since I went and they released me, I won't see jury duty for another 2 years.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok, but I think there is a big difference in a person getting paid for it.. not all companies do that. So you would lose a days wages, if not more if your selected.
I personally get paid for the whole time... but not everyone does:)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I agree the way it's set up doesn't really motivate you to do your civic duty. Thankfully there are alot more employers like yours out there Ma. Kevin I wouldn't wait, just get it done and you may just get out of there early and then not even have to worry about them calling on you again for another 2 years.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you go just tell them you cant be fair to judge someone. They will send you out right away

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Most are DUI's just tell them that you donate to MADD and your brother is in law enforcement and you are gone.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Uhmmm yeah, it is a huge pain in the butt. Especially when you know you won't be able to serve out the case. However, you should consider that if you are ever charged with a crime that you did not commit then you would want honest, hard working, folks like yourself to listen to you plead your case. If nobody showed up you could simply be railroaded by whatever prick with a Napoleon complex you happened to cross. Besides, like Fishman said, you go, they excuse you, and you are done for 2 years.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its on the last day of my rifle coues deer hunt and I allready took that day off.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I believe it depends on what court you are sent to. In Mesa they send you back to the jury holding room in case another need arises.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got summoned, I went, I was asked if I could come to a decision of guilt or innocence and told them yes, I was then asked if I could decide a reasonable punishment........I asked, "what the heck is the judge for, babysit the lawyers?" "He is the one to set punishment, not me, what the heck is he getting paid for?" That was 6 years ago and have not had a letter in the mail from them since.
Dusty

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
One of the rights that make our country great is a trial by your peers. or the right to choose a judge to listen. Some guys serve in Iraq, or some other part of the service to help preserve that and other rights. Imagine if you you were falsey accused and the guy you wanted to weigh the evidence was more concerned about a hunt or missing a game.
I find it hard to believe so many people want to get out of it. I know a guy who wont register to vote because he think that is where they pull the names from.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I served for a 4 day trial about 15 years ago....met a pretty lady that was also serving on the jury and I was getting some tail before the trial ended.

JACKPOT!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tell them you voted for Obama and they will show you the door because its obvious you cant understand facts from fiction.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
last year they were cracking down in superior court if you ignored the summons, they came and arrested you and took you before the judge, was on t.v. news may have been a scare tactic buttttttttttttt, you can always request to serve at a later date after hunting etc.

or go in wearing a neo nazi outfit or KKK hood and they will probably let you go home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts