Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dude at work bought a new Stratos and is selling his 88 Ranger. All I know is its an 18 footer with an 88 Johnson 150, rebuilt 5 years ago, dual axle trailer, color humminbird graphs, gel coat is trashed, new carpet. He threw out $3500when I asked how much. Should I go look? Of course he says it runs great and has a newer TM....

Jo Ann and I are headed out of town right now to head up to Lake Norman to fish all day tomorrow with a guide. Never done that, this should be interesting. Then its the farm pond on Sunday for half a day then maybe checking out this Ranger. Rough life huh? Have a good weekend, guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i'm guessing if the gelcoat is trashed $3500.00 is too high. but its all a game when the biddin starts. if its not to far out of your way why not check it out?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I think it'd be worth taking a look at. My old Ranger's gelcoat looked pretty bad when I got it. One weekend of colorsanding and buffing and some replacement decals made it look like new.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
elbow greese is all that would need. Make sure there are no transom cracks and hole in the boat. Its a true and tested brand so no worries in that department.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Dude, its the engine i would worry about. those late 80s and 90s engines were not real great. if you broke the 100 hour mark then they were a good one. most blew around 30 to 80 hours

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Might want to check the splashwell around the transom drain holes. 85 - 98 had a bad habit of cracking around there and the water would leak into the hull. Mine leaked from the day I bougt it till the day I sold it.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Hold on to the cash - save a little more - wait a little more - a better alternative will present itself at some point. Imagine spending the coin on that and then finding a better deal.:idea:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Might want to check the splashwell around the transom drain holes. 85 - 98 had a bad habit of cracking around there and the water would leak into the hull. Mine leaked from the day I bougt it till the day I sold it.

its only sold if the guy pays you for it!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Jason, I don't know about the splash wells however the early rangers did have a problem with breaking at the back of the livewells where they are glassed to the bottom of the boat, take a look at this area and see how bad it's broken. Other then that most ranger of that age, are in the range of $3000 to $4000 just have a mechanic check the motor......Then fill the boat with water up to the top of the batteries and see if it leaks. The rest is something that for the most part can be fixed fairly easily.......................Course I would still hold onto the cash,,,,,,,,,add some to it and buy something newer ................You would be much better off in my opinion..........................................................................................................

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
pass, save up until you can afford something around $10k and you should be able to get something much newer in the same size with a newer motor/hull from the late 90's early 2000's.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
check for soft floors. I had an 88 201 and the stringers were rotted did som fabricating to held support my weight. check the bat. compartment and the cap around the rub rail.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah the more I thought about it today, the more I just want to wait. I really doubt my old ass Explorer could tow that tank without throwing a rod anyways. I will continue to save and beat the hell out of the Tracker. Thanks for your opinions guys. I need to stop being interested in junk. Hell the boat was made when I was 12 years old! :eek:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Yeah the more I thought about it today, the more I just want to wait. I really doubt my old ass Explorer could tow that tank without throwing a rod anyways. I will continue to save and beat the hell out of the Tracker. Thanks for your opinions guys. I need to stop being interested in junk. Hell the boat was made when I was 12 years old! :eek:
IT IS A RANGER THOUGH!:hump:

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its a muy veijo boat though and I am not down wit that. I will stay with my leaky Tracker, that is paid for.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually saw the boat today on base, and it kinda is a hunk o junk. Good call, fellas... Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts