Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this stuff for real. I see it in the stores but I am always kind of not sold on the idea that a couple of sprays can do the trick. :? I saw the web site and yeah there are some hogs on there but I am still kind of skeptical. :? What do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
This is a GREAT question/topic!!!

I don't know what to think about the "attractant" theory. I'm sure that it helps some but how much I have NO ideal. However, I strongly believe that flavors help persuade the fish to keep the bait in its mouth longer, giving you more time for a hook set.

I'm looking forward to reading some replies from some of the pros out there. i.e. the guys who caught fish on Sag today. :wink:

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
kicken bass is made to hide the scent of oils in your skin in plastics it also puts off amino acids like the baitfish put off it is important to cover up your scent because a bass can smell 10 times better than a hound dog it has been proven more than once hot sauce if you can find it works great to lube up big plastics to prevent them from balling up when a bass hits it :D

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
I am not sold on the stuff either. I do know one thing that it will allow the fish to stay on a little longer while your setting the hook. My daughter use's it and it has helped her big time on hook sets. It gives her a little extra time.

As far as catching big ones on the stuff , its just pure chance in my opinion. if the bait is there wether kickn bass on it or not , its still going to eat if its wants it.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
This is straight from personal eyewitness testing. I fish the PVA Bass Tour and 3 yrs ago, one of our tournaments was held on Lake Okaboji, Iowa. Which is at Spirit Lake, Iowa. Home of Berkley. We had a chance to take a tour of the plant, which was quite impressive. My favorite part of the whole tour was the testing areas. In there we were taken to a testing area where they tested scent formulas. There were a half a dozen or so small aquairum tanks with one bass in each. The tester had every kind of scent on the market and ask which ones we wanted to see tested. The 3 we tested were Kick'n Bass, Bang Shad, & of course Berkley PowerSent. To do the testing, a very small cotton ball, about the size of a BB, was placed in a styrofoam bowl and the scent was put on it. A stop watch was given to one of us and we were told to start the timer as soon as the bass inhailed the bait and again when they spit it out. First was Kick'n Bass. The bass inhailed the bait and if memory serves, it was spit out in 2.0 seconds. Next was Bang Shad,(I wish they would have had Garlic, but the WalMart next door was out...LOL :wink: ), the bass inhailed the bait, it was spit out 2.9 seconds. Not bad I thought. Next, Berkley PowerScent. The bass inhailed the bait, the clock was started, and 1 minute passed, then 2, still nothing was spit out. The tester told us that, unless we wanted to wait 3 days to see the cotton ball, we could stop the clock. This process was repeated in several tanks with almost identical results, so unless they somehow had the bass trained to eat the Berkley scent, I could only conclude that it was definately the best scent at that time. I thanked the tester & bought the first bottle of Berkley scent offered !!! LOL :lol:

In my opinion, I do not believe that in most cases the scent makes the fish bite, but does definately make them hold onto the bait longer allowing you more time to detect the lite bite & set the hook. So, any of the attractants should offer a slight advantage over no scent at all. Even though I witnessed this test & bought the scent, I still use Bang Garlic most of the time. For 2 reasons: it comes in a spray, not slimey gel & I like the smell of garlic, so if I get it on my hands or boat, it don't smell like " Sh!T :lol:

Take it for what you will, but that is my "EyeWitness" report.

PigSticker

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can remember listening to Bill Dance one time an he said that if you put a sponge in front of a dog he's not likely to take a bite (must not be reffering to my dogs :shock: ) but if you cover it in gravey he's likely to eat it. At the time I thought it made a lot of sense and then recalled many times where I would use a slugo or other soft jerk bait and would have the bass come up to it and put their nose right on it but never take it. From that point on I have used scents on my plastics or buy scented plastics. It definately has made a difference to me.

-Dave King

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
according to bass researcher Dr.Loran Hill Largemouth can detect the presence of amino acids in concentrations 2000 parts per million fewer than humans can his test have shown that bass can detect a preyfish odor source at 25 feet away only the bass sense of hearing is capable of of greater range hill points out that bass exhibit a "snake-like" swimming action when honing in on an odor source

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I do believe that it helps them hang on longer. Hae seen it in action when the bass will chase and put their nose up to something just to swim away. put scent on it and they will hit it most of the time. did a demo for drop shotting at bass pro shops in Texas, Put the worm in the display tank and several fish came up to it and sort of looked at it. put Kicknbass on it and a 15 pounder hung on to it to the point it had to be ripped out of its mouth, These fish are hand fed every day so they are not that hungry. it made me a firm believer.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I fished the bassmaster tourney at Havasu as a nonboater and both of the pro's I drew used smelly jelly- I don't know anyone that uses it,-except for me now! I guess it can't hurt.

G

·
Check it out bass have oral factors on the outside of there mouth's so in saying they can taste the bait before they bite it.Smoke a cig or a pipe and see how many you catch then wash your hands and see how many you get and I am only talking plastic baits where you have to handle the bait. I as a handpourer have done alot of testing with scents and the breakdown of them under heat and cross contamination and have found that kicknbass is by far the best then again if the other companies would put out a product that is oil based and not water then I would try them. As far as kicknbass testing when you are throwing a bait where there is a abundance of large fish ( Salto, Guireera,Baccarac and etc etc.) then the chances of hanging a big one goes way up. To me if you want a big fish then throw big baits in prime areas and the hookup ratio goes way up keep throwing the dinky 9 inch worms and lizards along the chunk rock and leave the deep drop offs to me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I use KNB regularly. Does it produce more strikes? Sometimes it seems that way when fishing is slow. Probably one of the big factors is that if you believe putting scents on a bait works, do you concentrate more on the baits action and thus are more sensative to the more subtle bites that you may have missed?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
GCbaitman, Kicknbass is one of my sponsers, Ken gives me the pure oil so i can mix it in my plastic when i pour and have found out that it will stay for years. it will even start to ooze out after about a year in the heat. you might want to call Ken and see if you can get the pure scent prior to the mixing. my favorite is the craw oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have used only KicknBass and it does seem to help them hold on longer which helps alot. I just bought this rattlesnake scent that was only $0.99 at sports authority right before thanksgiving so I'll probally give that a try next few times. Also what scents do you guys like to put on your swimbaits, because mine smells like paint to but dont want to put crawfish on it and ruin it.
Justin

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
trout paste

ok the secret is out in i used to fish willow beach for big stripers years ago and i would take a blender put some fresh trout from the grocery store and some lard mix it up and before the lard got hard i would dip my trout pattern cranks and sassy shads in them i never tried it for largemouth yet butt if its not illegal i probaly start again

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
You used to fish willow beach for big stripers huh?

Blended up trout and lard huh........O.K.

Dude I think you were probably just wasting your time if you were really doing that......I fished that section of the river for stripers for 7 years...........you should know that stripers are far more aggresive than largemouth and they usually fully commit to a bait, and if they miss it they come back...............almost everytime..............largemouth will follow a swimbait alot of times and not commit...........20-40 pound stripers always commit, at least for me and the people I used to fish with...........If you really fish out there maybe we can hit it next April-June during the spring migration.......................Franklin

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
if you fished it alotyou would probaly would know rick francis maker of the day lure remeber them you see what i liked about my trout paste is it lubed up the bait on the big plastics and it would leave a film on top of water i caught lots of big stripers on it dude i lived in vegas from 1989 to 1998 and i would always fish it when i was not on mead or az central lakes by the way do you know pat donoho out of vegas??? what years were you fishin the river???

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
1992-1998...........made one trip in 2001

Met alot of different people out there, don't remember names just faces.....mainly fished during the spring migration from April thru June.........easiest to catch the monsters at that time.......caught almost all my fish from mile marker 51-52, and from the shore at night just south of the trout hatchery on the Arizona side............

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
mohave

we would mostly start above the hatchery by the cable cars at about 10 pm work past the monkey hole till 4-5 am then go catch some largemouths by cottonwood cove post your next trip there franklin and good luck on your next trip champ,204

1 - 20 of 37 Posts