Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went spearfishing on Sunday at Lake Pleasant and just wanted to pass along some info on the conditions. Water is cooling but still not too cold, temperature at 80-90 ft was still in the mid 60s, I expected it to be closer to 55 degrees. Dove all around the Vista Point cove just North of the Marina, visibility in some areas is below 5 ft but then in other areas it clears up to 15 ft, most fish are found swimming in the clear zone just near the border of cloudy water. Found no stripers, a few large mouth bass but Tons of very large Carp stirring up the bottom and making the water cloudy. Also found several schools of large (+20lb) channel catfish swimming around the 45 ft level. No luck hunting stripers, not sure where they are hanging out at now.

Bill

·
Banned
2,467 Posts
Bill,

Can you give us some additional info on equipment, etc for spear fishing. I've been wanting to do this in the ocean for a while and had no idea you could do it at pleasant. How does one get started and are there any places that can point us in the right direction?

I think I just found another new expensive hobby. :)

Vince

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have dove plez tons of times!!! I have seen tons of wolf packs of some monster bass in there, my dad also found a wallet with cash scatterd around it. We dove all the time and would go back to the places we saw the huge bass. Thats where my dad stuck his 13lber.

For spear guns he doesn't really get down with the gun anymore he still has 2. but instead he uses a hawian sling and man is he deadly with that thing.

·
Banned
2,467 Posts
louxwe (Bill),

What kind of visibility are you seeing down there and how deep are the fish? Would this be possible to spearfish using just a snorkel and mask? I've got a boat and wouldn't mind going out with just a snorkel/mask, wetsuit and spear gun. This way the fish have a fighting chance.

Also are there any spearfishing clubs in the AZ area? I think this would be pretty cool to start one and gain some interest in the sport.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
152 Posts
louxwe (Bill),

What kind of visibility are you seeing down there and how deep are the fish? Would this be possible to spearfish using just a snorkel and mask? I've got a boat and wouldn't mind going out with just a snorkel/mask, wetsuit and spear gun. This way the fish have a fighting chance.

Also are there any spearfishing clubs in the AZ area? I think this would be pretty cool to start one and gain some interest in the sport.

What do you guys think?
Yes, that what most spearfishermen do its called free diving, its a blast done it my whole life mostly in Hawaii but done tons of it at Powell and Plez

·
Banned
2,467 Posts
Yes, that what most spearfishermen do its called free diving, its a blast done it my whole life mostly in Hawaii but done tons of it at Powell and Plez
Thanks... I pretty much spent the day .... err working... looking through video's on youtube. Found a couple of beginner videos on gear, setup etc. Are there any shops around here that you can recommend with experience Free Diving in the area? Does anyone offer any classes/intro into free diving in the AZ area? In high school/college I was a lifeguard and use to snorkel quite a bit on vacations.

Up until now I pretty much swore off ever going to Lake Pleasant again, but I guess I'll have another go at it. This time underwater.

Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Thanks... I pretty much spent the day .... err working... looking through video's on youtube. Found a couple of beginner videos on gear, setup etc. Are there any shops around here that you can recommend with experience Free Diving in the area? Does anyone offer any classes/intro into free diving in the AZ area? In high school/college I was a lifeguard and use to snorkel quite a bit on vacations.

Up until now I pretty much swore off ever going to Lake Pleasant again, but I guess I'll have another go at it. This time underwater.

Anyone else interested?
Limits easier to get that way.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Anyone else interested?
alot of shops kinda stay away from the sport cuz your killing your catch, i have had my gear for years and dont go to many of the local shops just because when at in Cal, Hawaii etc... they have way more stuff. I think suba science just off I-17 would be a good place to start they use to offer spear trips to San Carlos so they arent just picture takers there.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Anyone else interested?
Hey I might be game for this. I have wetsuits that are good for down to 50F or so but that's it so my window is limited. Also have a friend that lived in Hawaii for quite a while and I think he brought his gear with him when he moved to AZ. We'll see...

Hawaiian sling is the way to go, there's more sport in it!! Sticking cats with a sling has got to be interesting and you don't have to worry about any tiger sharks either. It would be a lot more comforting to do this in freshwater than salt, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I think the spear fishing deal is only for stripers and possibly carp but I may be wrong. Either way be sure to check the regs...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts