Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the discussion on the quality of bass fishing at Pleasant, which can be tied to the quantity of fish caught, has there ever been any discussion of introducing spotted bass into the lake? Lake Pleasant is similar to Lake Shasta in N. Calif in my opinion. They both have huge level fluctuations throught the year and the both lack abundant shoreline cover. In the early 80's spotted bass were introduces in Shasta and from what I read, it is one of the premier spotted bass fisheries in the country. Seems the spots can handle the water fluctuations better than other species. They not only catch numbers of fish there, but the sizes are pretty good as well(many 5-8lb). There are also still good size LM(seen reports of 10+ being caught). Shasta and Pleasant do differ in that Shasta is fed by 3 major rivers and Pleasant water is runoff and CAP. One thing Shasta does not have is the striper population).

I'm interested what people think, especialy the G&F guys. HAs this been looked at before or does it relly need to be?

SteveM

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good Question!

I think that spotted bass would adapt pretty well to a lake such as Pleasant. I don't think they would be in much competition with the native largemouth since they typically orient themselves in open and deep water, vs. the structure oriented northern strain largemouth. Those people that are worried about stripers, this would be the bass to compete directly with them. I'm not sure if the previous poster,"guest" understands that the spotted bass is almost identical to a largemouth, other than the teethey tongue and a little bit more aggresive attitude, most people can't tell the the difference. I think it would be a good idea. It actually expands the areas, depths, tactics, etc. that you can use to catch bass. JMHO!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To Guest

Yes, born & raised in Redding. Grew up fishing Shasta, but mainly for "gay bass". Still have family that lives there, but don't get back very often. Been here for over 20 years though.

Are you from N. Cal?

SteveM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts