Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a father/daughter trip with my 21 year old next week to lake Powell. Never been there so looking for some info. Not sure if we are going to camp or get a hotel. Any recommendation on camp sites where boat can be launched at camp site or close to ramp that has bathrooms and showers. Also if you have any recommendations on hotels in the page area.
Now how about the fishing? What do you throw to striper boils. I also heard the small mouth fishing is pretty good there. What colors of plastics work there? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Your best bet is go to "Wayneswords" mucho information and , camping, fishing etc.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Your best bet at a 'camp site' is renting a houseboat :) And that won't happen on a week's notice...There are really no shore facilities or campgrounds set up like you'll find at Roosevelt. You'll have to shore camp and that mean's packing EVERYTHING (including a Porta John)

Honestly, your best bet is to get a hotel room in Page and then launch each morning out of either Wahweap or Antelope.

Again
www.wayneswords.com
is the place to go for ALL your Lake Powell info! Super informative site! Read the fishing reports and the angler's reports and they give you an idea of what's working and where. If you have more specific questions, post on their bulletin board and the people on there are super friendly and will give you plenty of tips.

Personally one of my favorite places to fish is around the Twin Islands in Navajo Canyon. You can always come back with a mixed back of Stripers, Smallies and the occassional Walleye. That's a great place to start before ventruing up lake to Gunsight and Padre Bay, both are vast bays that are the size of Saguaro that hold lots of SM and LM bass along with roaming schools of stripers.

Get yourself a Fish N Map of Powell and drop me a PM and I can tell you a couple of places to go and a couple of tips to get you started.

-Tony

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Waynesword it the tops for lake powell info as everybody has said

I asked about page motels last year (do a search "lake powell") and you will see quite a few people responded with ideas etc.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Planning a father/daughter trip with my 21 year old next week to lake Powell.
Thats a bad thing to say on this site!! Your probably gonna have 50 guys up there now wanting to get a glimpse of her!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
131 Posts
When you get into page, stop at the Stix market. They will hook you up whith what the smallies are hittin on. Splitshot cinnimon yama twintails, chrisrmas tree twins, hot mustard tiny tubes used to work for me. With all the shad this year, use that as a pat too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SOUTH END OF LAKE

JUST GOT BACK FROM A WEEK LONG TRIP ON THE BIG POND. SMALLIES ARE HITTING EVERYWHERE ESPECIALLY OFF OF POINTS. HAD GOOD LUCK WITH STRIPER BOILS IN THE SOUTH END OF WAHWEAP.BEST TO CHECK WAYNESWORDS FOR UP TO DATE REPORTS. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
644 Posts
A little off topic...but after looking at wayne's world and seeing a 31lb striper, what would you guess the biggest striper in the lake would weigh?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
No one knows but there are sure to be some cows down deep,
'specially with the big Gizzard shad and small stripers, bluegill, carp etc.
They can't survive very long in warm water, so will stay deep until water temps drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts